Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

#106 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7119.JPG
All plug welds punch and was about ready to start welding this on
IMG_7123.JPG
Then I remembered there was one more loose end to tie up. Had to repair the lower corner of the suspension flange with some heavy gauge.
IMG_7124.JPG
All set. The end of the new flange has to have something to hang onto. Also cleaned and remove the remains of the old "K" brace on this back corner.
IMG_7125.JPG
I can finally begin welding this on.
IMG_7127.JPG
Plug welded and finished out the joint along the bulkhead.
IMG_7141.JPG
Sticking with my plan I'm going to leave everything ahead of the bulkhead wall loose until I get the front beam squared. That set screw at the front will have to do until then.
IMG_7142.JPG
Joint seam along the bulkhead finished out smooth. Onto stitching up the joint along the new lower flange. That next; Going to be a long one.
Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#107 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7167.JPG
This forward corner of the cockpit weld finished and completed. Gas weld detail at the leading edge of the bulkhead flange replicated along the way. This small portion ready to accept a new floor pan. Small area but it was a win that day. Moving rearward to continue the rest of this flange repair.
IMG_7185.JPG
The rest of this run welded up and dressed. Lap joint details replicated carrying over the lines.
IMG_7186.JPG
Same treatment for the backside.
IMG_7187.JPG
I'll close and add the new gusset floor once the front beam issue is addressed.
IMG_7188.JPG
Another mock up with the new closing panel just to see.
IMG_7189.JPG
Next section runs the entire length all the way back under the heater tube elbow and embossment detail. However, the new replacement section isn't that long which is just as well as there is a lot of work ahead to repair in and around the elbow.
IMG_7190.JPG
I'm going to the make the break under this outer lap joint. A perfect place to quit as it will be concealed and supported under this lap panel.
IMG_7191.JPG
New section overshoots this eventual joint by only a couple of inches so its almost the perfect answer.
IMG_7192.JPG
Original flange(X) is the same width as the standard issue back here so all I need to do trim away the excess.
IMG_7193.JPG
Like before cutting just at an inch above the flange line. This portion is actually still good all the way down the flange itself but its got to be weld repaired somewhere so I might as well keep the repair uniform.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#108 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7194.JPG
Saved as much of the original vertical wall as I could.
IMG_7195.JPG
Section removed after carefully cutting around and breaking loose from the bulkheads. Prepping new section to fit next.
IMG_7196.JPG
New section cut to basic length for a flush fit.
IMG_7197.JPG
Now positioned for needed flange height.
IMG_7198.JPG
Ready to etch my final cut line in and trim.
IMG_7199.JPG
Cut to final width and clamped into position with a good tight joint. Begin tack welds.
IMG_7200.JPG
Securely tacked
IMG_7201.JPG
The end shape trimmed to continue that Delta-V relief shape.
IMG_7206.JPG
Quick paper template as now is a good Time to fill that hole.
IMG_7208.JPG
Lap patch all welded and dressed.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#109 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7210.JPG
Its subtle curve and flange shape made for a smooth transition between the two flange widths.
IMG_7211.JPG
Inside view of this repair.
IMG_7212.JPG
This area about ready to accept a new floor pan. I'll finish stitching up the rest of that run a little later on...
IMG_7214.JPG
as I'm going to switch gears and get back to finishing out this corner repair I started with.
IMG_7215.JPG
more on this next...

thanks for looking.

Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#110 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Impressive as always!
Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#111 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks once again Antione.

New door well tray/floor installed.
IMG_7223.JPG
Just about ready to tack this in. I wanted to as much of that secondary wall as I could but as it stands now its in my to get a clean shot at the most inner part of the weld joint so no choice but to cut a little higher or lower in this case.
IMG_7224.JPG
Wall trimmed back just enough and began stitching it in.
IMG_7225.JPG
Nice getting more structure back in there.
IMG_7226.JPG
Begin template for the new inner splash pan/closing wall.
IMG_7228.JPG
Flange of the new pan will eventually join onto it. Ideally I would have had the weld joint run through the middle of this flange to both conceal and support it but the rust went just a little higher on this one.
IMG_7227.JPG
Eventual wall patch should butt up nice and tight against the new pan.

Secondary closing wall repair patch.
IMG_7242.JPG
Able to use the remnant section left over from the front bulkhead wall flange repair from earlier.
IMG_7243.JPG
Folded and trimmed to basic shape.
IMG_7259.JPG
Final trimming and shape all but there.
IMG_7260.JPG
Final trimming on that butt joint eventually dialed in with plug weld holes punched. Ready to weld. Very tricky patch as the flanges come in at specific angles and the wall itself has a slight lean to it making dialing in all the lines for a clean fitment all the more difficult.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#112 Post by Justin Rio »

Secondary closing wall patch continued:
IMG_7261.JPG
Would have been impossible to repair this area cleanly with the hinge boss in the way.
IMG_7263.JPG
Getting ready to weld that inner vertical flange section from the outside. Loosened the rest of it up to ensure a tight fit. A lot of planning ahead had to be done as its almost impossible to dress any weld slop down in that deep corner.
IMG_7268.JPG
New secondary wall pretty much set and dressed. Had a really hard time reaching down into that corner but going to leave well enough alone for now.
IMG_7279.JPG
Onto the new end cap. A little tougher to work with 18 gauge but now that I have it on hand I want to try and make most all "chassis" related components from this instead of 20 gauge.
IMG_7280.JPG
Cut to basic and slightly oversize shape.
IMG_7283.JPG
Rough mock up with the new longitudinal section to trim back a little closer. That new simonsen piece is made of 20 gauge which I'm not really thrilled about being such an integral component of the "frame" but we have the triangulation of the roof so it should live.
IMG_7284.JPG
I will however reinforce it where I can.
IMG_7285.JPG
Begin rolling in that curved leading flange detail.
IMG_7286.JPG
Final trim and shape along with all the plug weld holes added. Ready to mount for the final time.
IMG_7287.JPG
Carries on the flange line from the OG section.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#113 Post by Justin Rio »

Splash pan repair continued:
IMG_7288.JPG
Inner wall and overlap details carried on here as well.
IMG_7290.JPG
One more test with the long just to make sure before I started welding.
IMG_7289.JPG
I'll add in more plug weld holes before I join these together for the final time.
IMG_7291.JPG
Begin Plugging and stitching it on.
IMG_7298.JPG
Fully welded and dressed
IMG_7299.JPG
Relieved to have the heavy lifting completed in the confines of this corner.
IMG_7300.JPG
Marking for the eventual spot weld details and the final splash pan patch overlay after the longitudinal cavity is fully welded and all closed up.
IMG_7303.JPG
Gone as far as I can up here for now.
IMG_7293.JPG
Onto the back half next. Should be fun.
Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#114 Post by Justin Rio »

Began planning the repair in and around the heater conduit.
IMG_7301.JPG
While this rear closing wall is in mostly solid shape it is in my way.
IMG_7302.JPG
I hate to disturb it but its going to have to come out to get a clear shot at the end of the tube.
IMG_7310.JPG
Cutting just enough of the rear closing wall free for now.
IMG_7311.JPG
Hated to do it but things got immediately accessible. I'll get the rest of it out later.
IMG_7312.JPG
Begin peeling this onion by carefully removing each layer of steel or at least what is left for info and templating purposes.
IMG_7313.JPG
Bottom outer embossed layer which is directly welded to the end of tube cut free first exposing the second layer.
IMG_7314.JPG
Carefully removed the remains of this second layer. Again for copying purposes.
IMG_7315.JPG
What is left is the remains of the inner most flange/wall run that welds to the end of the inner exit tube section. To the right of it are heavy gauge angle flanges off the torsion housing that were beefy enough to have just survived. I think, I'll know more once I start cleaning this area up.
IMG_7316.JPG
Inside view that inner most wall and as you can see the rot runs deep.
IMG_7317.JPG
To get a clear shot all of that will require the elbow of this conduit to be removed. No surprise of course.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#115 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7318.JPG
Taking it right at the factory weld joint.
IMG_7321.JPG
Tube section free.
IMG_7322.JPG
exposing more of what lies beneath :shock:
IMG_7323.JPG
This is really cutting deep and though I've got the roof and a sub-frame Jig in there I still got a little spooked so I added that tubular bridge strut there just to make sure it did begin sagging. A lot of leverage running through here with the weight of the body hanging off each end.
IMG_7324.JPG
Sort of hard to make heads or tails of these crispy little guys but since I watched it come apart I think I can still reverse engineer it.
IMG_7319.JPG
So gratefully just to have those rough examples because as you can see that information no longer exist on the left side.
IMG_7320.JPG
It turns out the side I'm on is the "cherry" side. A perfect example here of being at a total loss without an original reference.
A couple more layers to go and would be touching bottom on this repair. That next...

Thanks for stopping by.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#116 Post by Justin Rio »

Touching bottom with this corner repair.
IMG_7356.JPG
While planning out this most inner flanged wall I did want to replicate the details like this stepped overlap.
IMG_7357.JPG
However this rust hole was really beginning worry me as I wanted to know what the rest of it looked like beneath this flange.
IMG_7358.JPG
Just couldn't leave it so I cut that heavy overlapping flange to find out.
IMG_7359.JPG
Much to my relief not a whole lot. The wall just ends with no attachment between the two which was surprising but nice as it made my life a little easier.
IMG_7360.JPG
Getting that last overlap out of the way now gives me a clean shot at the entire section where the rot has gone through.
IMG_7363.JPG
Wall remains carefully harvested for the pattern.
IMG_7364.JPG
Now past all the unsavable metal; I've officially touched bottom. Building this area back up from here.
IMG_7365.JPG
Making copies of all these layers next.
IMG_7366.JPG
Inner most flange/wall first from 18 gauge
IMG_7367.JPG
Cut to basic shape. more on this later...
Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#117 Post by Justin Rio »

First new corner repair panel going in.
IMG_7368.JPG
Fine trimming and fitment next.
IMG_7369.JPG
Dialing in the correct flange height. It eventually mounts to the inside of the outermost flanged wall
IMG_7370.JPG
which needs to be a smooth and tight fitting continuation off the end of that new section I welded in earlier. Remnant flange helping to determine that here.
IMG_7371.JPG
Tube opening had a small lip to the inside most of the way around so one was added to my copy.
IMG_7372.JPG
Checking the height and fitment back here against that heavy gauge overlap from earlier.
IMG_7374.JPG
Then a quick check also with the next layer that will eventually go over top of those two. Everything sandwiched together as nice as I could tell.
IMG_7375.JPG
New repair section finally positioned and tacked in.
IMG_7377.JPG
All stitched in and onto the next layer.
IMG_7378.JPG
I was going to make a new piece here but after a quick dunk in acid it was clear there was enough meat left to reuse. Ground back the shoulder to expose more of its lead. Spaced to compensate for cutting wheel thickness.
IMG_7379.JPG
Back into original position. Cleaning up the weld joint next then its onto the next layer.

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#118 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7380.JPG
Originally these two where not joined but I spotted them together for add support.
IMG_7381.JPG
onto the next layer...
IMG_7382.JPG
Peeled back the shoulder a little further still just at the gas weld seam. No more trace of this section found in between so I can only assume it terminated there.
IMG_7383.JPG
New section from 18 gauge cut to basic shape with saddle profile added.
IMG_7385.JPG
It will have to be form fit as it goes to get it all perfectly snug.
IMG_7386.JPG
Old with new. Though not a lot of the front remained there was just enough of a clean vertical end remaining to clue me in as to how long it was. Ready to weld.
IMG_7387.JPG
Started welding it at the rear then chased it forward.
IMG_7388.JPG
All dressed and almost fully welded. I still have to weld up the rear vertical edge but will do that before its all over.
IMG_7389.JPG
Onto making the final layer. This will be a bit more tricky as the opening for the tube has that embossed collar. I'd have to make a hammer form for this detail first. That next.

Thanks for Looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#119 Post by Justin Rio »

Begin hammer form
IMG_7394.JPG
Thick heavy gauge plate I have on hand will make for the perfect base/step for the embossed collar detail. Cleaned the end of the tube so I could trace out that needed shape.
IMG_7395.JPG
Paper template with the shoulder I'm looking for. Outlined on the steel and would carve it out next. A total pain in the ass but worth it as I have to do the same repair to the other side; So its a "two-fer"
IMG_7396.JPG
Original tube section was small enough for my acid bath so it soaked overnight. Wish I could clean the rest of it like this but I'll take what I can get.
IMG_7414.JPG
Hammer form cut out and shaped. Two holes were added so I could secure the work to it.
IMG_7415.JPG
After a quick test with some 20 gauge I realized I needed more relief height so I added this strap stock to the back for a touch more draw.
IMG_7416.JPG
Basic relief shape I hope to achieve. That thick stock was a bitch to cut out and shape so I was praying it wasn't in vain.
IMG_7419.JPG
Section of 18 gauge all bolted up
IMG_7417.JPG
and ready to begin adding in that relief shape.
IMG_7420.JPG
Started working it in cold to get a feel for it.
IMG_7421.JPG
Certainly not as forgiving as 20 gauge so this was a first of many rounds of heat was applied to get it to take the shoulder.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#120 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7422.JPG
Basic relief shape complete. I have some lines and details still to clean up but I have my basic repair patch. This was a physical one and felt like blacksmithing to get that thicker metal to take the shape.
IMG_7423.JPG
Left myself plenty of excess for final adjustment and trimming.
IMG_7425.JPG
I'll punch the hole for the tube end next. The tube and its ends position dictates where this patch will ultimately end up. Once I have that dialed I can do my final trimming and add in the 90 degree bottom flange. One more step closer to wrapping up this corner repair.
IMG_7426.JPG
Just a basic roughed in part at this point. Opened and rolling the edges in for an eventual seam weld to the edge of the tube as originally.
IMG_7427.JPG
Good for starters now to make it all fit and align together in the car.
IMG_7429.JPG
Trimming little bits away as it went with a closer fit on each try.
IMG_7430.JPG
Trying for tube alignment with best average fit at the end.
IMG_7433.JPG
Templates for final cut line and shape that the remains of the original show.
IMG_7435.JPG
Tube end traced in its adjusted position to better locate the final cut lines on the repair patch.
IMG_7438.JPG
Trimmed and ready for final adjustments in relation to the tube. Shape didn't turn out as clean as I would have liked but its heavier gauge, hand formed and will be eventually covered over so it really just as to do its job which is to provide a secure opening at the tubes end.

Thanks for looking.

Justin