Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#841 Post by Justin Rio » Sat May 14, 2022 4:03 pm

Thanks Martin, I get plenty of sleep as this work is several months old.
gt356161.jpg
The cover is not necessarily a carrera thing but any car fitting with the big tank. That small service window allows some limited access to the steering box without disturbing the tank.
IMG_8866.JPG
The main access cover is an original GT tank version; my contraption just provides a perch for the reservoir and the same limited access to the top of the steering box without modification to this original panel or the car.
Thanks again.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#842 Post by Justin Rio » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:15 pm

New LED Light kit from Vintage Trader.

I'd always planned on running at least a partial LED system to preserve more amps for the eventual EFI and electronic ignition going on the motor. I contacted Jules Dielen about his 356 LED light package.
IMG_8938.JPG
I went ahead and took delivery of the entire LED kit that he offers for 356. All in 12volt of course.
IMG_8937.JPG
All marker and dash related lights including an electronic flasher unit.
IMG_8936.JPG
Headlamp units are new Hella H4 housings with their LED light units.
IMG_8977.JPG
Really impressed with the quality. All metal jacket housings with a high quality quick disconnect lead and plug. Note the impeller fan at the top, really cool.
IMG_8939.JPG
As advertised, the light units plugged directly into my original shine down light base.
IMG_8940.JPG
White LED reverse light unit
IMG_8941.JPG
The tall beehive lenses look terrible (IMHO) so one of my main concerns before buying the entire kit was that the marker light unit's ability to fit under the short version lenses.
IMG_8943.JPG
Jules said they would and they do. The plan was to always go to a 12V system and I remember the danger for the guys back in the day of melting their OG lenses with the heat of an incandescent 12bulb. Have it all covered here; more brightness without the amperage draw and the heat that goes with it. Definitely the way to go.
IMG_8971.JPG
Same "bean" shaped unit that powers the license lights also goes into the courtesy light.
IMG_8968.JPG
Switching out the gauge lights was of course just as straight forward.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#843 Post by Justin Rio » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:16 pm

IMG_8969.JPG
As advised in the directions the new bulbs were only inserted half way for the combination gauge. This gauge's housing isn't as thick or deep as the other two so inserting them only partially here is supposed to help with illumination dispersion. We'll see how that looks when I finally get a battery in this car.
IMG_8970.JPG
The colored LED's will be another plus for my purposes in that my gauges won't be restored and the half-century plus of UV light has faded the dye in these old lenses terribly. So they should be looking pretty nice at night once again when backlit with new bulbs.
IMG_8975.JPG
Head light switching was of course just as easy. Switching out my vintage H4's from the 80's.
IMG_8976.JPG
Same exact Hella housing though the logos and inscriptions are a little different being 40 years or so apart.
IMG_8978.JPG
It will be a very compact fit inside the bucket but an initial mock-up proved that it will all fit in there. I'll have to wrap and isolate that small metal box so it doesn't chafe of bounce around in here. More on that later.
IMG_9200.JPG
New LED's installed up here with no issues , again even with my short front turn signal lenses. Very nice products and I'm now all set as far a lighting goes.

Thanks for stopping by.
Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#844 Post by Puygranier Antoine » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:54 am

Looks like a quality kit, well done !

Antoine