GPS Driven Rally Equipment

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Use the News&Events > Event Calendar menu above to publish event dates/info.
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

GPS Driven Rally Equipment

#1 Post by Steve Douglas » Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Hi, I have seen several Rally being done with GPS/Computer driven systems. Most are real expensive and take a lot of computer geeks to set up. I have seen a few Rally being run where the participants only need a simple APP and smart Cell Phone. Anyone out there have experience on doing Rallys with this kind of setup. Cost is important, as is the ease of use for non-geeks.
Roadbook and Rally Check are a couple, not simple.

DaveErickson
356 Fan

Re: GPS Driven Rally Equipment

#2 Post by DaveErickson » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:17 am

Steve. I'm interested too. This app looks interesting if you have an iphone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rally-tri ... 1063654075

Jim Goodlett
356 Fan

Re: GPS Driven Rally Equipment

#3 Post by Jim Goodlett » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Steve Douglas wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 pm
Hi, I have seen several Rally being done with GPS/Computer driven systems.
If you are talking of the in car GPS rally computers, THE best on the market and the one most utilized for TSD rallies, is the TerraTrip 303 GPS...mountain of accouterments that you can get for it including extra GPS antenna as well as Remote display for GeoTrip Rally Computer...Murray Motorsport sells them and always seem to have them in stock (I have one for the 1978 Porsche 911SC Safari Rally car, and another for my 1980 Porsche Type 930 tarmac Rally car)...you can also get extra mount brackets for another car so you just swap the head unit), which is what I will be doing for the 1962 T6 356 I have recently acquired and making into a rallye car as well...more here on the 303 GP main unit
https://www.murraymotorsport.com/terrat ... tEALw_wcB
Steve Douglas wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 12:31 pm
Most are real expensive and take a lot of computer geeks to set up. I have seen a few Rally being run where the participants only need a simple APP and smart Cell Phone. Anyone out there have experience on doing Rallys with this kind of setup. Cost is important, as is the ease of use for non-geeks.
Roadbook and Rally Check are a couple, not simple.
Reading this bit and pondering Steve if you are looking to put on a rally and thus need timing equippe for the start and finish points, or you are just looking for a phone app to utilize for rallye events with you and a sheet tosser?
1974 RSR
1978 911SC Safari Rally
1984 Type 930 Rally
2015 Turbo Diesel Cayenne Rally Raid

and in the making:
1962 T6 Rallye 356B