how to e mail seller

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

how to e mail seller

#1 Post by Jim Clement »

when I am in the classifieds, and click on the "e mail seller" tab, it just goes to a blank page
does this function work ??

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: how to e mail seller

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Good question! I have had no luck with that either.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Never had that problem but if a seller does not put his email address in I go to the "members" tab and look up the member and contact him that way. Not how it is supposed to work but is a workaround.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Clement »

I do not think it is currently working for any sellers.
I randomly went through about 8 of them, none of them worked..

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#5 Post by David Jones »

Jim, must be on your end. I just tried a few at random and all went to an email page with the correct address.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

okay _ thanks..

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

Jim, if you have a specific ad you want to reply to I can do it for you if you cannot find the advertisers address.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I was going to say that the system was designed for all responses are to go via David. A good workaround.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jerry Powell »

David--It might work for you because you are a Moderator and have special privileges where Jim does not----bug?

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#10 Post by Michael Branning »

Jerry Powell wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:21 am David--It might work for you because you are a Moderator and have special privileges where Jim does not----bug?
It's a setup problem on the users' computer...it needs to have a default email client set up. There is a help file on this page, on left hand side "using email links":

https://porsche356registry.org/content. ... _id=503555

You can download the help file here:
356_Help_Email-2.pdf
(359.93 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jerry Powell »

Michael--Why doesn't the website Classified software use the Logon users Email address configured in their Profile/Contact information instead of forcing them to change their Mailto default Email address configured in their computer?

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee

#12 Post by Michael Branning »

Jerry Powell wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:45 am Michael--Why doesn't the website Classified software use the Logon users Email address configured in their Profile/Contact information instead of forcing them to change their Mailto default Email address configured in their computer?
Jerry - I may misunderstand your point... the "mailto" function is a standard HTML function used on many websites. For instance if you put an email address in the forum here, like:

mbranning@porsche356registry.org

You'll note it automatically has been turned into a link. If you right-click it and inspect the HTML you'll see for that line:

<a href="mailto:mbranning@porsche356registry.org">mbranning@porsche356registry.org</a>

So even the forum uses the same mailto: function as CE. When a user clicks the link, their browser then tries to open and address an email using the default client on the computer.
Michael Branning
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Clement »

I am going to try it again tomorrow from my work computer, see if I have any better luck..

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jerry Powell »

Michael--My understanding was that phpBB uses SMTP not a URL based mailto link as the Email protocol. I assumed CE used SMTP or IMAP, that is why I questioned the extra setup in the users client computer. I understand now that both use the HTML mailto link protocol.

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee

#15 Post by Michael Branning »

Jerry Powell wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:29 pm Michael--My understanding was that phpBB uses SMTP not a URL based mailto link as the Email protocol. I assumed CE used SMTP or IMAP, that is why I questioned the extra setup in the users client computer. I understand now that both use the HTML mailto link protocol.
Jerry, you are on the right track…its actually both methods… phpBB has a built in messaging system which leverages SMTP and does generate emails. It provides a private way to message others without exposing their email address (until they reply).

phpBB will also will render an email address typed into a forum post into a clickable mailto link.

CE does not offer a built in member to member messaging service but it does generate a variety of emails for password resets, member mailings, and the like. Because they developed their classifieds system for specific customer originally, apparently the response approach (mailto, phone, etc) met their needs. Other membership platforms we looked at had no classifieds at all, so we picked the best platform available at reasonable cost.
Michael Branning
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster