Heater Control Valve Sound Insulation

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Langer
356 Fan

Heater Control Valve Sound Insulation

#1 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello,
Can someone please share pictures of a Pre-A heater control valve, cut open?
As I understand, the Pre-A's have the long can version with sound insulation, due to the solid material of the heater tubes in the sills.
If I remember correctly, there was a very nice thread on a heater control can restoration. However, I can not find it any more.
Thank you!
Martin

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Heater Control Valve Sound Insulation

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

One of you Pre-A experts help out Martin?
Greg Bryan

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Langer »

Thank you for the support, Greg!

If there is currently no picture of a cut open heater control valve available, I would like to detail my issue and possible solution. My project car did not have any components for heating. Therefore, I bought new heater control valves from JP / Dansk. However, these (long) cans are completely empty. Therefore, I want to cut the can open on one end and get the noise deadening tube with holes and material in.

All I found on the original design so far is shown in 2 pictures on the abcgt-Forum:

https://forum.abcgt.com/forum/main-foru ... ater-valve

It seems to me, that the photos do not show the assembly of the outer and inner tube as installed, the nose of the inner tube should point to the right side.
So, in case someone has an original Pre-A heater control valve at hand, a flash light photo through the open valve, showing the inside will probably already help me enough for my upcoming project.

Thanks again, Martin

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Hi Martin,

Mike Smith and his team at PRS in Essex have reproduced both the bent-window and 356A versions of these "mufflers".

https://www.prs356.co.uk/porsche-356-pa ... 356-pre-a/

I would either purchase those, or ask Mike how they're put together so you can retrofit the Dansk ones. But I would buy the PRS ones. On my rusty originals, there's perforated steel sheet and what I can only assume is asbestos filling. =O I have not cut mine apart. Yet.

Would also be interested in finding out what is exactly in there.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Scallon »

Martin,
This may or not be interesting to you but early VW busses have very similar cans and this person took his apart and restored them. I have no idea whether our 356 cans are similar inside, but this might give you some ideas. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Best regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Langer »

Thank you James for the lead and thank you Greg for TheSamba link with the great instructions on restoring a heater control valve.
I was in contact with Mike Smith and likely will buy the new PRS ones. I also received the attached pictures of an original heater control valve from a Non-Registry-Member. They confirm the silencer setup of the pictures in the abcgt-Forum.
Thanks to all involved in supporting me on this issue!
Martin
Attachments
Heater_Control_Can_5.jpg
Heater_Control_Can_4.jpg
Heater_Control_Can_1.jpg