Stork Oil Temp Gauge Pictures

For Pre A discussions and questions
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Stork Oil Temp Gauge Pictures

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

here are 2 pictures , one of the back of the dash panel Stork gauge showing a sheathed connection - the other is of the point on the crankcase block ( 912 engine !) where the sender is , the start of that sheathed connection running to the gauge

Questions - is that what the fluid capillary tube looks like ?

how do I remove the sender part ?

I am gearing up the mental strength to deal with (a) leak testing the capillary and (b) recharging the working fluid ( diethyl ether )
Attachments
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Stork Oil Temp Gauge Pictures

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

John,
The bulb end of the capillary tube is held into the brass fitting on the engine by the knurled nut shown in your photo of the engine end. The capillary tube itself is permanently attached to the bulb at one end and the gage at the other. As originally supplied the tube was protected by the woven sheath for the entire length with a short length of plastic sleeve at the gage end and approx. 15 inches of metal spiral sheath over the woven sheath at the bulb end and then a transition to a silver/gray plastic tubing over the woven sheath for an additional length of approx. 50 inches. The actual capillary tube inside this protection is TINY. I don't know anybody who repairs these although I have heard there may be someone in Europe. I do not think it is a DIY task! I have attached photos of a broken gage I have showing the various types of protection over the capillary tube, and one showing a broken end of the actual capillary tube.
Attachments
DSCN0239.JPG
DSCN0236.JPG
DSCN0235.JPG
DSCN0234.JPG
DSCN0232.JPG

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#3 Post by Donald Zingg »

More pics - - - - - - -
----
Attachments
capillary tube3b.jpg
capillary tube3a.jpg
capillary tube1o.jpg

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

John

Looks like the capillary tube in the engine compartment has been wound up to form a tight pigtail by the sensor.
To avoid collapsing the fragile tubing it's best to keep the radius of any bend as large as possible when installing the capillary.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#5 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, Back in 2015 I used Instrument Services, Inc. 4075 Steele Drive Machesney Park, IL 611115.

My capilliary had been cut off and the cost, at that time, was $300 to replace it with the length I needed. There was no cosmetic repairs done at all, but they do offer the full service getting everything bright and shiney

It took 6 years before the car was ready to install it and it works perfectly. It takes about 10-15 minutes to register, this is the only one I have experience of so I have no idea if this is normal, but I've checked the temperature shown with an IR gun and the temperature shown is as good as spot on.

I've since discovered Speedy Cables (London) Ltd Abercrave, Swansea, SA9 1SQ, haven't used them myself but heard good reports

Hope this helps.

V
V. Gillespie