looking for early top parts bow and turnbuckle

For Pre A discussions and questions
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

looking for early top parts bow and turnbuckle

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

im looking to complete a pre a top who is making the wooden bows and i also need a set of rear turnbuckles and the bottom half that connects to the turn buckle .. any leads would greatly be appreciated
Regards Ned

Jim Wayman
Registry President

Re: looking for early top parts bow and turnbuckle

#2 Post by Jim Wayman »

I think Albert Haefner is making the wood bows. I don't remember there being any turnbuckles at the rear like on later tops unless you are talking about the adjusting turnbuckles at each side where the top frame pivots.
Jim Wayman

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

Contact Ted Capps in Washington State - none better!
tedcapps@earthlink.net
(360) 387-7568
025.jpg
024.jpg
019.jpg
Sample2.jpg
Are you talking about these big turnbuckles on the frame?
DSC_0324 (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ned Gorski »

Thanks for the info ... Ted made my top bows second to none even the box he shipped it in is still on top of my work bench he is an amazing craftsman.. Spencer do you know when porsche added that spring connection to the bottom of the turn buckle arm???? i know my 55 has it as did my old 54 but I've seen tops without it. the one on ebay is a 52 and doesn't have the spring tabs .....i have a friend restoring a 53 and its pretty rough should a 53 have the spring tab on the arm under the turnbuckle ?

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spencer Harris »

Ned Gorski wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:10 pm Thanks for the info ... Ted made my top bows second to none even the box he shipped it in is still on top of my work bench he is an amazing craftsman.. Spencer do you know when porsche added that spring connection to the bottom of the turn buckle arm???? i know my 55 has it as did my old 54 but I've seen tops without it. the one on ebay is a 52 and doesn't have the spring tabs .....i have a friend restoring a 53 and its pretty rough should a 53 have the spring tab on the arm under the turnbuckle ?
Ned:
The springs are listed in the '53 parts catalog, but not in the '52 VW catalog, so I would guess it was a Model 53 addition. Reinhold Plank or Jim Liberty could probably confirm. One of Reinhold's cohorts in Italy was making reproduction top frames for T2 tops. I don't know if he made pre-A frames or components, but It would be worth sending him an email to inquire.
Stefano Gatti: s_gatti@tin.it

The frame I pictured is my Aug '53 cabriolet. When attached, the springs were wrapped in interior color vinyl - probably same as your 55. The green material and springs photo is from Daryl Bertram's 53 built in early 54. I have the dimensions of the springs if you need them. There is a left spring and a right spring specific to the position of the mounting hooks.
53 Parts Illus XXIII.JPG
52 VW Parts Illus 32.JPG
DSC_0037 (Large).JPG
DSC_0244 (Large).JPG
P1040060 (Large).JPG

Yeah, box-tailed shipping crates. You just don't find those at Home Depot!
DSC_0308 (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.