53 interior/map light lens ?

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

53 interior/map light lens ?

#1 Post by Jim Stephenson »

Does anyone sell the oval shaped white lens that is just above the front mirror on a 53 coupe ?

Thank You,
Jim Stephenson

Rick Albro
356 Fan

Re: 53 interior/map light lens ?

#2 Post by Rick Albro »

There are several vendors but I think the consensus is that none of the available lenses are quite right. The lenses with a pebble grain probably were used in a VW of similar years but are more common in European cars. The pebble grain lenses are also made of glass. Two other issues seem to be of reasonable color match and of the proper thickness.
lenses.jpg
lenses.jpg (140.36 KiB) Viewed 920 times
edge profile.jpg
edge profile.jpg (134.15 KiB) Viewed 920 times
IMG_7266.JPG
IMG_7266.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 919 times
dome light.jpg
dome light.jpg (121.45 KiB) Viewed 917 times

Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Stephenson »

Rick,

Thank you for the detailed email on the light, sounds like Tom Birch would be the best contact. Would you have contact info for Tom that you could please share so I can contact him ?

Thank You,
Jim Stephenson

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

My last communication with Tom was a long time ago but a quick search finds that he is still using the same contact information. viewtopic.php?t=53152 posted just a few months ago still lists his contact info as Birchwerks@aol.com send him an email and see if he replies.... good luck if you don't get a reply maybe it is time to make these at the right thickness and color...

Thomas has a website that is not functional... splitregistry.org perhaps there are other members that might know if Tom is okay...

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rick Albro »

Jim,
Tom has contacted me but has a new contact. Hopefully you have made the connection!

Tom's new contact information is: birchwerks101@gmail.com
Tom does have the best profile of all those out there and when I bought one of his lens it was also very reasonably priced.