Interior Fabric Color

For Pre A discussions and questions
Bruce Grant
356 Fan

Interior Fabric Color

#1 Post by Bruce Grant »

Greetings --
Does anyone have any guidance on whether the color attached for my 53 interior fabric is correct? The piece in my hand is original and faded, and the interior expert (Ron Nelson, Autoweave, who has done many 356s over the years) suggests that this is the closest he can get. Any thoughts J
Pcar Interior match.jpg
Pcar Interior match.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 2121 times
ames and others? I am getting close to finishing (maybe in 2022) and need an answer to close the loop on the interior. Many thanks. Bruce
'53 Coupe

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Interior Fabric Color

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

Bruce,

If your goal is to be correct as possible i would suggest ordering the "Reutter Copy of Production"!
It is very informative and addresses trim, paint color for the body as well as the dash (at times the dash was a different color)
and they also give you the interior color of the seats as well as the carpet.
With the interior being so faded it may help guide you to a correct color.
I don't know the turn around time once you order, BUT if your goal is to be as authentic as possible it is a great option,
and it is worth the wait.

Good luck
Victor
Attachments
IMG_7904.jpg
IMG_7904.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2104 times

Bruce Grant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Grant »

Many thanks, Victor. I will try and get one. Bruce
'53 Coupe

Bruce Grant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Grant »

Victor, the Reutter copy arrived and the interior fabric in the picture I posted was not correct. It had been changed previously with a shade far too green. Thanks for the suggestion -- it was well worth the investment.

Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers of the correct fabrics? I did not receive any guidance from Reutter re this question, or any German source, so I would like to make sure my interior shop has the best source available.

Thanks, all, I greatly appreciate this forum and the archives.

Happy Holidays,
Bruce
'53 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

Bruce,

I would suggest you contact James Davies and Reinhold Plank. They would be my first port of call.

Good luck,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#6 Post by Joris Koning »

Bruce,

The fabric sample you show for sure has the correct beige binding with the small brown dots.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Michael Doyle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Michael Doyle »

Bruce Grant wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:32 pm Victor, the Reutter copy arrived and the interior fabric in the picture I posted was not correct. It had been changed previously with a shade far too green. Thanks for the suggestion -- it was well worth the investment.

Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers of the correct fabrics? I did not receive any guidance from Reutter re this question, or any German source, so I would like to make sure my interior shop has the best source available.

Thanks, all, I greatly appreciate this forum and the archives.

Happy Holidays,
Bruce
I carry correct Cord Samt (Corduroy) material and some Vinyls. I have some of the Green Cords. No cloth fabric materials yet. Will post some photos here later. You can contact me directly as well.

Michael Doyle

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#8 Post by Victor Ingram »

Sorry Bruce, I thought that would be a good source for you!
I hope one of our members can assist
Merry Christmas

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Bruce, what's the cloth in your interior? Beige corduroy or green Bedford cord? The beige corduroy is available from Keymer in NL. Their Manchester corduroy in 05 "beige" is almost spot-on for the original fabric used by Reutter 1952 through the late 1950s. Color, weight and rib width/spacing.

https://www.keymer.nl/manchester?lang=en

If it's the green Bedford cloth (also ribbed, but not corduroy), then probably what you have above will be close. There's some makers of Bedford cloth.

Reutter used corduroy for all the colors except for blue and green in 1952-54. For those they used Bedford cloth from a different supplier. Do a search for "Bedford cord upholstery fabric" and see what you can find in terms of weight, color and rib size. The Blue is very well matched by the blue here

https://www.carrtextile.com/ViewProduct ... 45&M_ID=51

though this is cotton and I believe the original is wool. Though you can verify if you have an original sample of the green. I've never seen it in the flesh.

Bruce Grant
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Grant »

James,
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I am not sure why I missed your post until now.....and, to your question, I am not sure which it is --my sample is in the hands of the interior shop -- But I will forward this whole thread to him asap and ask him. I will respond more fully when I learn more.
Bruce
'53 Coupe