Continental Registry

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Wayman
Registry President

Continental Registry

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

The Continental Registry is active at www.356continentalregistry.com. If you are a Continental owner please visit the site and review the data section to see if your car is listed. If it is, please confirm that the information is correct. If it is not there or the information needs to be corrected or supplemented, please complete the Registration Form page and submit. If you know of an owner, please have them do the same. A large part of the database was provided by Thibaut Boey, so many thanks to him. Also, thanks to the late Paul Lang for his assistance many years ago in matching up some of the engine and transmission numbers to the chassis numbers. Much of the data has been collected by me over the last 40 years, especially from a survey I did back in the 1980s, so I expect things like the location of the cars may be out of date. My promise is that any personal information submitted, such as contact information, will not be shared with anyone else without consent. Any suggestions as to how the site can be improved will be appreciated. I would greatly appreciate pictures of Continentals for the website, especially if chassis numbers are known. Enjoy!
Jim Wayman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Continental Registry

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Are us interested non-owners welcome to have a look? It has sounded exclusive but maybe by accident.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Cliff Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by Cliff Murray »

Nice work Jim! I wonder if you would be willing to help the Trustees develop something similar covering all of the 356 production?
1957 Speedster
1959 Sunroof
1960 Devin D Porsche racer
1963 GS2133 Coupe
1967 911S
2003 575M
Various vintage motorcycles

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#4 Post by Jim Wayman »

Website can be viewed by anyone interested. No password needed. Cliff: Contact me with PM at hiway9999@hotmail.com.
Jim Wayman

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#5 Post by Jim Wayman »

We now have over 100 Continentals registered. Please encourage other owners to contribute. The more cars listed the easier it will be to see patterns in production. T shirts are in limited supply, so if you want one, order it soon.
Jim Wayman

ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Tag: Thibaut

#6 Post by ThibautBoey »

Great Jim that you set this up. I'll mail you with further info I found... :D
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ned Gorski »

i would be curious to see how many cars in this data base we actually Max Hoffman delivered cars .

Regards Ned

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#8 Post by Jim Wayman »

Ned

I assume that the interest in whether they were Hoffman cars is the understanding that all Continentals were Hoffman, USA delivered cars. A lot of the responses I have received were from owners who have the Kardex for their cars and they indicate Hoffman. Interestingly, there are 2 Right Hand Drive cars that purport to being Continentals. I don't know if there is a Kardex confirmation of this, but it would defy the common understanding. Given that we know that Continentals came as basic models as well as well equipped ones, it makes you wonder what rationale Hoffman used in ordering his cars. Did he place an order that called for say 10 Continentals and 10 non-Continentals or did he just take what the factory sent him when he ordered. I tend to think the answer is that he specified what he wanted, knowing what we do about him. If the Continental idea was his, based on a belief that it would improve sales, why order non-Continental cars? This is all just hind sight questioning and we will probably never know the answer.
Jim Wayman

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

Jim
interesting take on the ordering .. i was under the impression that all 55 Hoffman coups and cabs were continentals. The marketing materials only specifies price adjustments for different motors no mention of regular vs continental package. That being said i have seen the period pictures of the right hand drive continentals pretty cool, there is an exception to every rule . Probably someone confused two cars and drilled the wrong fenders just prior to painting . im also curious about the 1954 model cars that say continental.. were they leftovers with scripts added ?? or someone added the scripts after the fact , again exception to ever rule .

Regards Ned

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#10 Post by Jim Wayman »

Thanks to all who have taken the time to provide information on Continental cars for the database at www.356continetnalregistry.com. Blunt "A" type hood handles were provided on the early 1955 model year cars. I would be interested in when the transition took place from the blunt handle to the pointed one. The latest coupe I have record for is 53140. Anyone have a later one? Also Cabs.
Jim Wayman

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ned Gorski »

Jim
that would be great thing to add to the questionnaire my cab 60748 came with a blunt.
The handle was missing when i found the car but you can clearly see the outline and the first shade tree repaint showed rounded not pointed.
Regards Ned 55Cab

Cliff Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by Cliff Murray »

Ned Gorski wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 am Jim
my cab 60748 came with a blunt.

Regards Ned 55Cab
By "blunt" I assume you don't mean a joint, aka reefer, aka weed.
1957 Speedster
1959 Sunroof
1960 Devin D Porsche racer
1963 GS2133 Coupe
1967 911S
2003 575M
Various vintage motorcycles

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#13 Post by Phil Planck »

53248 had blunt handle, but not a Continental. Was picked up at Ferry's house so Im told.
Phil Planck

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Cliff Murray wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:01 am
Ned Gorski wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 am Jim
my cab 60748 came with a blunt.

Regards Ned 55Cab
By "blunt" I assume you don't mean a joint, aka reefer, aka weed.
Clifford! Behave.

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#15 Post by Jim Wayman »

Thanks to all who have submitted information on Continental model Porsches. We now have well over 100 identified on the website (www.356continentalregistry.com.) I am now ready to start publishing pictures of your cars on the website. You may submit photos to administrator@356continentalregistry.com. Please identify the photos with the chassis number if you know it.

Thanks
Jim Wayman