Spare Keys for a '55

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Spare Keys for a '55

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, I have managed to get a key blank for the door lock which matches the original but the blanks I have found listed for the ignition do not match my original.
IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG (419.54 KiB) Viewed 674 times
IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4181.JPG (407.51 KiB) Viewed 674 times
I understand that the original suppliers were Borkey but having looked at their catalogue I'm not sure which one it is anyone know a source for a blank as shown in the photos.

I'm not in the precarious position of only having one working key as my local locksmith did a great job of making a modern stock blank work.

Thanks

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Spare Keys for a '55

#2 Post by James Davies »

The original supplier of the keys was Bosch, who made the keys and ignition locks. Bosch blanks are no longer available. Börkey blanks are available, so feel free to use those.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

The blank from Börkey is 547. Some discussion here

viewtopic.php?t=50634

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#4 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks James, How did I miss that thread?
V
V. Gillespie

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I have been told that this is the correct ignition key for my built-in May '55.

I believe it is a Bosch blank NPN547 which may also have been used with the 356A.
Attachments
Bosch ignition key.JPG
Bosch ignition key.JPG (38.15 KiB) Viewed 615 times
 KTF, member #15

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#6 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

The Borkey 547 as shown in the Steenhauer catalogue looks correct but they will only supply to official distributors in Belgium and The Netherlands. In normal times I'd be only too happy to take a trip over to either or both have a few beers and frites with mayo, mussels etc., etc. but that's not so simple at the moment. I haven't been able to track down a distributor here in the UK yet, I'm hoping Borkey themselves will be able to help.

Tom, as I now know it's a Bosch ignition the Bosch blank may well work but I can't track one of them down over here either. We are in regular contact with one of the original owners & he remembers the key, along with the well weathered key fob, so I'm 99.9% sure the key shown in the photos is the original, it's a very late built (Mid/late Sept '55) bent screen.

V
V. Gillespie