546/2 questions

For Pre A discussions and questions
Lloyd Keigwin
356 Fan

546/2 questions

#1 Post by Lloyd Keigwin »

I am rebuilding engine type 546/2, serial number 34570. This engine came out of a 1955 coupe, after the battery fell through the floor in 1968. My friend owned the car at the time and junked it but saved the engine. I got the '55 engine in 1972 when he and his wife gave me their 1957 coupe. By that time the '57 car had been outside 2 or 3 years (in RI) and was slowly returning to the earth and being picked over by scavengers. I saved the later coupe and it has been on the road for most of the past 40 yrs. Sometime around 1975 I took the heads off the 546/2 and it was easy to see where the chrome had worn off the cylinders, so I put it aside and rebuilt the '57 engine a few years later.

As a Covid 19 project I decided to get together all the 546/2 parts by then scattered around the barn/shop, and the best way to do that is to rebuild the engine. I have two simple questions:

1. I'm looking for case castings that might indicate date. On the inside of the left hand side of the case there is a small circle the numbers 48 over 4. I'm guessing this means the 48th week of 1954, right around Thanksgiving. Correct? Inside the RH case there is a similar circle with a 3 over 5. Anyone know what that one means?

2. I cannot find the brass fitting in front of the oil cooler that houses the stork oil temp sender, although it may show up later. I read here that someone has reproduced them but I can't find the message. Could someone please provide contact information or suggest another source?

I should note that the registry search function doesn't work well for me: it only returns results from 2000/2001. So I guess a third question is does anyone know what to do about that?

Thanks to all, Lloyd Keigwin on shark infested Cape Cod

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: 546/2 questions

#2 Post by James Davies »

Congrats on having a cool engine.

Yes, those are both casting dates for the case halves. Week/Year. The castings were done for Porsche by Kolbenschmidt, same company that did their heads for them. You'll see KS logos on all the pieces. If you're concerned about the spread in casting dates, the only thing that matters are the 1-, 2- or 3-digit matching numbers stamped in when machining the 3 pieces together.

I think Don Zingg sells the brass piece your'e looking for.

I had engine P-34406 which I was able to reunite with its original car a few years ago after being separated for almost 50 years. Cool engines.

LN Engineering can restore the cylinders for these engines. They remove the dimpled chrome and put a nicasil coating on, and they'll size it to your existing pistons, or you can get JE pistons as a replacement.

Sounds like a fun rebuild. Post some photos. Would be interested in seeing the Fram(?) oil canister and oil lines if they're original to the engine.

Lloyd Keigwin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Lloyd Keigwin »

Thanks for your comments James. I just went up into the loft to look for oil filter cans. I have four, and I know one came with a 912 engine that I rebuilt to propel my early 1957 car, and at least one more is from the original T1 engine. I looked up to see what Harry Pellow said about oil canisters and he claimed there might have been a dozen varieties. He said the earliest one had a drain plug on the side and I have that one, it must be the one for the 546/2. I have hoses and fittings here and there but I don't know which, if any, were original to this engine. If there is some particular feature or different length(s), I can look for it.

I will also see if I can contact Don Zingg.

Thanks, LLoyd

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

Lloyd

After some searching I found a brass sleeve for the oil temp sensor.
I posted it in the parts for sale classifieds section. Take a look and see if that's what you need.
The listing has my email contact link - - - -

Lloyd Keigwin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Lloyd Keigwin »

Don, I've looked a few times and haven't seen the brass fitting in classifieds. You can contact me: lkeigwin(at)whoi.edu

thanks, lloyd

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by James Davies »