Aluminum brake drum fins

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Aluminum brake drum fins

#16 Post by Vic Skirmants »

James Davies wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:32 pm Hi Mark,

You car would have originally come with a non-synchro VW transaxle, which is what that 1952 cars were shipped with from Porsche. Porsche even recorded the VW transmission number that went into each car in their production log. That said, you can determine if yours is likely original to the car by looking at the casting date on each half up by the nose cone.

On the 1952 cars, all those were VW parts except for the 19mm wheel cylinders, the pads (I think) and of course the aluminum finned sleeves as discussed in this thread.
James; Porsche did not record the VW number on any kardex I have seen for the early cars. I assumed it was because the VW trans was not their construction?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:02 pm James, I think those 1952 cars had not just 19 mm cylinders, but double cylinders and the dual leading shoe arrangement.
That was on the front, not the rear, which we are discussing here. Could confuse newbys.

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#18 Post by Brett Johnson »

Sorry, I meant all brakes with VW drums had 19 mm wheel cylinders...
Brett Johnson

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#19 Post by Brett Johnson »

...n the front...
Brett Johnson

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#20 Post by James Davies »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:49 am James; Porsche did not record the VW number on any kardex I have seen for the early cars. I assumed it was because the VW trans was not their construction?
Right, but they recorded them in their production books. I'm sure you've seen the Dick Koenig (and Olaf Lang) article discussing these 2 decades ago in the Registry magazine (Vol 23 #6 p29). For the pre-519 cars, this lists the VW number.

But yeah, I have not seen a VW transaxle number on a Kardex ever. And in fact the early 519 numbers were not listed on the Kardex either. The earliest 519 numbers I've seen listed are in the ~900 range starting in April 1953.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#21 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thank you, James! I now have a whole new bunch of transmission numbers for my records.
And thanks for verifying that VW crashbox trans numbers were not recorded on the kardex.