Pre A Reddish Brown leather color

For Pre A discussions and questions
Alan Hall
356 Fan

Pre A Reddish Brown leather color

#1 Post by Alan Hall »

My '53 super cab (which my father bought in early 1955) came with the reddish-brown upholstery, leather on the front seats and door panels, matching vinyl on the rear seat and rear side pieces. In 1974, for it's 21st birthday, I had the seats and door panels re-done in a similar, but not exact color match vinyl. At that time I saved a piece of the original leather from the seats where it was folded over and tacked. One problem with saving something for 42 years is figuring out where the heck you put it! Well I have finally found it! People have asked before what the color was like, and so now I can provide a better answer. I keep a number of paint sample books to compare colors without the vagaries of computer color rendition. Going through these, the closest color match is a Sherwin-Williams paint color called Rustic red, (SW 7593) which you can get sample chips of at a S-W dealer. Photo comparison attached.
Alan

Added by edit- The color, as it looks on the computer screen when I reviewed this post, looks much lighter than the actual color. Another reason I like to use a comparison with a color chip you can go physically get!
Attachments
DSCN8497.JPG

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Pre A Reddish Brown leather color

#2 Post by James Davies »

Cool Alan!

Here's a sample of the matching vinyl to this color from 1953. I found this glued to the interior of the door card on my '53 coupe, used as padding. Color looks identical. This was buried in the door panel its whole life, so also has not seen any sun.

This color seems much lighter and more orange than the wine red leather and vinyl used 1954-55.
Attachments
IMG_6739.JPG
IMG_6743.JPG

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Reddish Brown leather color

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

Great info Alan, glad you found the original sample and thanks for posting.
I'm off to the Sherwin-Williams store tomorrow!
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.