Early Bosch Voltage Regulator Rivets

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Jim Wayman
Registry President

Early Bosch Voltage Regulator Rivets

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

Early rectangular voltage regulators with the Bosch script on the cover had rivets attaching the cover instead of cheese head screws. Those rivets had the Bosch logo embossed on the heads. The wisdom is that the rivets prevented tampering while under warranty. I have made a run of rivets with the logo on the head and have listed them under the Classified section under the heading Bosch Voltage Regulator Rivets. They go for $30 a pair, shipping included in the US. They are aluminum drive type rivets so that you do not need to peen the end, since there is limited clearance.
Attachments
IMG_4833 (2).JPG
IMG_4833 (2).JPG (369.27 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Jim Wayman

Jim Wayman
Registry President

Re: Early Bosch Voltage Regulator Rivets

#2 Post by Jim Wayman »

Clarifications to the above new product posting: These rivets are proper for rectangular voltage regulators with FOUR mounting feet. Mine is a model RS/UA 160/6/13. The early ones did not have a date code stamped on them, hence the rivets instead of screws. If you have one of these regulators and have drilled and tapped the base holes to accept screws, these rivets may be too small in diameter to hold on the cover. In that case, you can peen over the end of the rivet to hold on the cover. The root diameter of the rivets is approximately 3.05MM and with the splines, it is 3.33MM. I installed the rivets easily with a hardwood dowel and hammer, so as not to deform the heads.
Attachments
IMG_4835 (2).JPG
IMG_4835 (2).JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1286 times
Jim Wayman