Buyer Beware

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Jack Wirtz
356 Fan

Buyer Beware

#1 Post by Jack Wirtz »

Has this ever happened to you? I ordered a an part from GR & Sons Laguna Beach CA on TheSamba, paid for the part when I ordered and gave them my shipping info. GR & Sons mailed it to the wrong address in another city. USPS returned the part to GR & Sons. They held the part for two weeks without notifying me. I had to call them to see if they had the part returned and gave them the correct shipping address, again. GR & Sons mailed it to the correct address after a month. Surprise, it was the wrong part. I've tried half a dozen times to to get an ok to return the part. Email, text & phone...Crickets. Bottom line is just be careful in dealing with this vendor as they lack the integrity to do the right thing.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Re: Buyer Beware

#2 Post by Eric McKinley »

Jack, i know it does not help your situation at the moment, but what is the part, maybe someone on the registry can help you with that end.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Was the wrong part worth more or less than the correct part? That could explain their reticence in response. I have never dealt with them but from reading their ads they seem to be somewhat proud of their parts from looking at their prices.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#4 Post by Jim Clement »

I have tried to purchase items from them previously, and found them far to difficult to work with.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've bought several parts from them without any glitches. In addition, I found them willing to negotiate lower prices than posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

There is the answer then Mike, we use you as the broker when we need parts from them.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Me and my big mouth! 😜

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#8 Post by Jim Clement »

I was hurt by the thought you were able to negotiate .. I have not been able to.. you are good !!!
and yes.. we should all use to to be the in between..

John Brooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Brooks »

my Post went to the wrong topic ( my fingers are too fat for my phone.)
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Steve Kram
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Kram »

I have bought from George several times in the past and never had a problem. He also always communicates responsibly.
Wonder what the problem is?
He certainly deals in a large volume of items.

Mark Dinsdale
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mark Dinsdale »

I’ve ordered several parts from him without any issues and most of the time he has accepted my first bid. One item that was half of what he was asking but I bid anyway one night just before the item closed and he accepted.

chris romney
356 Fan

#12 Post by chris romney »

FWIW, it looks to me like most of their parts are at least double what I would consider to be the going price. If I were buying from them I would start by offering no more than half the asking price. They also post so many parts they clog up the Samba and make it a lot more work to find the reasonably priced parts from other vendors/sellers.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Just look at his prices as "asking" prices and make reasonable offers. He'll work with you.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#14 Post by Spencer Harris »

chris romney wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm They also post so many parts they clog up the Samba and make it a lot more work to find the reasonably priced parts from other vendors/sellers.
The default on Samba is to list the ads as they are updated/renewed. Many of GR&Sons ads are years old, but they pop to the front page as they're renewing ads every day. If you sort the ads by Date Placed (drop down on bottom of page) the new listings pop to the front page and older ads are sorted accordingly. If you leave Samba open in one of your browser tabs the date placed sort stays in place and only new listings populate the first page. If you close the site you have to reselect date placed and sort when you reopen it.
SAMBA Sort.JPG
SAMBA Sort.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
If you perform a search for a specific item, choose the option "show new ads on top" to see the newest listings first - not the newest renewals of old offerings.
Search Sort.JPG
Search Sort.JPG (51.1 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
I rarely use the main search form, but if your initial search for a part turns up (for example) a dozen pages you can refine the search to specific models, price range, even the seller's zip code.
Search Form.JPG
Search Form.JPG (91.39 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

Spencer Harris wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 pm
chris romney wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm They also post so many parts they clog up the Samba and make it a lot more work to find the reasonably priced parts from other vendors/sellers.
The default on Samba is to list the ads as they are updated/renewed. Many of GR&Sons ads are years old, but they pop to the front page as they're renewing ads every day. If you sort the ads by Date Placed (drop down on bottom of page) the new listings pop to the front page and older ads are sorted accordingly. If you leave Samba open in one of your browser tabs the date placed sort stays in place and only new listings populate the first page. If you close the site you have to reselect date placed and sort when you reopen it.
SAMBA Sort.JPG

If you perform a search for a specific item, choose the option "show new ads on top" to see the newest listings first - not the newest renewals of old offerings.
Search Sort.JPG

I rarely use the main search form, but if your initial search for a part turns up (for example) a dozen pages you can refine the search to specific models, price range, even the seller's zip code.
Search Form.JPG
You can also exclude certain vendors from showing up in your searches, it's handy for guys like this that fill 5 pages in a row with over priced ads.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.