2020 Lit Meet

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

2020 Lit Meet

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Precision Mattters has expanded to three tables at the LAX Lit Meet.
We will have selected products available as "Show Specials". There is a discount on the parts, plus we eat the taxes (and yes we do; our accountant is pretty clear about that), and there are no shipping charges; figure a 15-20% discount from delivered retail costs.
Cash (or check from established customers); the mobile credit card guys are still too rich for our blood. Prices aimed at ATM-friendly amounts.
If you have your eye on something special, give a call; we’ll try to include your selection. Space is limited and we’re taking what has been popular, but if there’s space, we’ll get it there.
Free loot bags; stop by the table and have a look. Hope to see you there.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

Re: 2020 Lit Meet

#2 Post by William Block »

Blocks-Books shall also be at LAX -- every year since the mid 90s.
We'll have 3 copies of EXCELLENCE WAS EXPECTED (shipping is expensive for 30# set)
A demo copy of Jung's English PORSCHE 356 MADE BY REUTTER -- a must have book.
It and Lewendowski's new Porsche 904 BOOK are due to hit the US distributor on 28 Feb.
Also 356 PORSCHE -- A RESTORER'S GUIDE to AUTHENTICITY 3 rev 4 and ESSENTIAL BUYER'S GUDIE TO THE 356 PORSCHE. All at swap meet prices.
As usual Silk, aka the Fabulous Freda will be doing the heavy lifting.
bill block
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Danke, merci, domo arigato, gracias, gracie, and otherwise thanks to those who organized and those who attended the 2020 Lit Meet this weekend.
Pre Mat did well in sales, and also met and greeted many folks who are or might become customers. Seems a good time was had by all.
Again, thanks.
www.precisionmatters.biz
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#4 Post by Conrad Carter »

Can anyone tell me what to expect (newbie) at this year's event? I have impression that it is normally very crowded, that tables are very close together and that social distancing will be spotty at best. I would love to go but don't want Covid either. Help!!
Conrad
73 years young

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Conrad, great question. In California and Los Angeles County in particular, closures and restrictions fluctuate often. My guess is we won't know about them until very near the date.

Yes, the Lit Show is very well attended (read that "crowded"! I missed last year partly because the virus was just ramping up here but mostly because I was hobbling around in a cast and crutches due to a ruptured Achilles tendon. I knew it would be pretty much impossible to navigate the crowded aisle ways.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

A get-together like this is dependent on the perception of value to the organizers, the vendors and the attendees. Like that introduction you heard many years ago about fires needing heat, oxygen and fuel; take one away and it's dead. Well...
I guarantee that if 'social distancing' is required, there is no way any but local attendees will waste the time and money to show up; who wants pay airfare, and hotel costs to wait in line for X time to be allowed to be rushed through the tables?
And if that attendance drops, who wants to front the money to prepare a display, design and print literature and risk various other costs. I'm sorta local (SF), but it still amounts to a noticeable expenditure.
Finally, the folks at Stoddard have done a wonderful job delivering an event to the attendees and the vendors, but at considerable cost. Which cost is now (per Mike, above) far less likely to return value.
Again, per Mike, CA's, LA's (and SF's) rules are likely to 'fluctuate' on a daily basis. As regards those issuing the 'fluctuating' diktats, I'll note only that they have zero skin in the game.
Those of us (all three) who have skin in the game are reluctant to bet that skin in the hopes the diktats on that day will allow us to receive that value.
The event is enjoyable on many levels, and I hope it will be held in 2021, but personally, I'd need some real assurances before Pre Mat starts issuing checks, and I'm sure others are also giving it a very close look.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

I would check and see if the host Hotel has done any other events of this size in the last 6 months, if they haven't you might have your answer. I've found lots of events, everything from swap meets to Cub Scouts meetings have been cancelled not due to the organizers pulling out but from lack of a venue to hold the event.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Adam, the Stoddard crew drives that end; they contract with the LAX Hilton, and, further send out the 'sign-up' sheets for the vendors and then advertise the event to the attendees.
I do not speak for them, but I'll note that no sign-up emails have arrived, and from memory, it seems they are usually here by now. But regardless, the agents in all three sectors will make the choices.
Regardless, if Stoddard chooses to hold the event, there are other venues.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joris Koning »

Adam Wright wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:32 am I would check and see if the host Hotel has done any other events of this size in the last 6 months, if they haven't you might have your answer. I've found lots of events, everything from swap meets to Cub Scouts meetings have been cancelled not due to the organizers pulling out but from lack of a venue to hold the event.
Word on the street is that the Hilton is not allowing events such as ours at this time. As much as I hate to admit it, I think next year's shows will not go through
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

That might shoot down the open houses and swap meet as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm That might shoot down the open houses and swap meet as well.

Mike
Honestly, it's crazy to me that everyone is searching for a work around or a loophole for what's going on. Acting like everything is normal is taking extraordinary risks. What's happening isn't normal, nor is it permanent. Patience, and safety will see us through it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

I couldn't agree with you more, Adam. There is nothing normal about our current situation.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#13 Post by Jim Wayman »

Sign up sheets for the Lit Meet for 2021 went out in July. Stoddard, at the time, announced that they had reserved the Hilton. Haven't heard any update since.
Jim Wayman

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

News this morning indicated that Los Angeles County tightened things up further due to the spike in cases. I wouldn't count on the meet happening, but it would be nice to hear from someone in charge.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#15 Post by Steve Proctor »

Yeah, these two items concerning CA recommendations were published for Thanksgiving gatherings on COVID19.CA.GOV as cases started to spike again. If anything, expect more stringent guidance in the coming weeks that will discourage event organizers...

* It is safest to celebrate the holidays with the people who already live with you, but if you invite others, only invite a maximum of two other households to your gathering. (if you are family #three, you just found out where you stand on the family / friends hierarchy LOL)
* Travel increases your chance of getting and spreading the virus. Incoming travelers from out of state should self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival before mixing indoors with others.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757