Technoöogical Updates for a pricy restoration

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Andreas Alexander Schoenwandt
356 Fan

Technoöogical Updates for a pricy restoration

#1 Post by Andreas Alexander Schoenwandt »

I am about to embark on a hybrid restoration for a 356 C. To those who only see the doodle-bug cuteness and will only ask whether it´s a replica, they will not mind that I plan to go from Irish Green to Bentley Midnight Emerald. I wonder about A/C and park assist, though. Of course I will go with the standard color of the leatherette interior unless my guy in Poland insists on real leather for the same price. Any thoughts in this corner on technological updates like twin circuits for the disc brakes and the other stuff I mentioned?

Many thanks

Andreas A. Schoenwandt
Germany

Mark Nicholas
356 Fan

Re: Technoöogical Updates for a pricy restoration

#2 Post by Mark Nicholas »

SO your question is how to retrofit A/C and park assist. By park assist do you mean radar like in most new cars that beeps as you come closer, or tesla style self parking features? For those options your only realistic option is to add a rearview camera with radar assist built into the license plate frame with a different rearview mirror that has a screen built in.
As for A/C you could use a in window unit like a VW but retrofitting a in carA/C would be a large scale project that would be one off and not have much in the way of precedent of how to do it. With anything on cars it possible with enough money and time and usually lack of sense too lol. If you really are for it, you'd have to use a bosch style A/C from a tesla or newer electric car and then be able to supply enough juice to it to operate and provide a blower assembly as well. Check out Rywire, he is building a electric s2000 that has a lot of items like electric heater core , ac etc. honestly dont see any of it ever going in a 356 but oh well.
As for dual circut brakes etc, skys the limit. I just purchased the airkewld from disc brak kit ( yours is a c so not necessary) and utilized a 914 master cylinder easy install kit from 914rubber.com and a chase bays brake fluid reservoir. that added dual circuit and a larger reservoir no problem. As for nicer newer upgrades, willhoit restoration, Ron Ladow at Precision matters and some toher companies make great upgrades to the 356 from mild to wild. Happy wrenching my guy

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#3 Post by Michael Branning »

Twin circuit brake master cylinder is a relatively straightforward upgrade, done often, and well understood. A/C - that's a bigger challenge. Are you running a stock motor? Park assist - your car might well be the world's first 356 with that feature. :shock:
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Dealer installed A/C was available with the introduction of the C series. In fact, the first C in the U.S., owned by one of our former members, John Kent,( RIP), was and is air conditioned. It was never installed at the factory.
Many owners have retro fitted A/C in their 356s and most work very well, especially with modern compressors, etc. As Michael mentions, dual braking is becoming commonplace with 356 owners. Inexpensive and very practical from a standpoint of safety. Color choice is always up to what pleases the owner, so that is your privilege.
Do you really need park assist in a small car like the 356? Is it worth the trouble and money? Think carefully before spending lots of money for something you might never use.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Park assist is handy for parking close to other cars, like street parking. 356 bumpers are fairly useless for protection, so the sensors would help you to park easily where maybe you shouldn’t.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Andreas Alexander Schoenwandt
356 Fan

#6 Post by Andreas Alexander Schoenwandt »

Am I naive to wonder what became of the Golde and or Webasto sunroofs. None available for under a gazillion dollars?