Reutter paint code plates

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Reutter paint code plates

#1 Post by Jan Kolm »

Were the Reutter paint code plates ever stamped at the coachworks with the four-digit Porsche paint code, or should they always be stamped with the three-digit Reutter code?

Edit: This question is primarily directed at late T2 through B T6 Reutter-bodied cars. For 356 C, the opposite may be true and the "R" in the paint tags is an extraneous artifact.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Cole Scrogham
356 Fan

Re: Reutter paint code plates

#2 Post by Cole Scrogham »

I'd say a little bit of both, plus some later T2's don't even have a code just "Kuntharzlack" plate. For sure at some point transitioned from 3 digit to none to 4 digit, perhaps owners of some cars with original plates can help narrow that down. Photos from early T2 and early '64 with original stamped plates.
Also, one of my gripes, the "new" badges that you can buy are sort of the same but not quite...why can't they just make an accurate copy?
Attachments
IMG_3995.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jan Kolm »

The repro badges on Guido's site are the closest approximation to the originals and you pay the price, but he does not advertise stamping services.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Brett Johnson »

I recently started a thread on the early paint plates in the Pre-A Corner. They were first used mid-July 1955. Much more detail there.
Brett Johnson