'59 Coupe wrong details

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
George Krompecher
356 Fan

Re: '59 Coupe wrong details

#16 Post by George Krompecher »

Thank you Dick. I'll be on the lookout for those blinkers.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hey Dick, you just posted pics of 2 of my cars, lol

George i may have a pair of the 59 blinker bases for you if you are still in need
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Bryan »

Regardless of its current condition, George, you are very lucky to have a 59 356A T2 - I think they are the finest looking of all the 356s.
Good luck with your project!
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Bryan »

Regarding your question about the courtesy light switches on the door hinges, by the time your car was built, Porsche had settled on the single wire to each switch.
One of these days, I will compile all of the different courtesy light circuits used from 1950 until the design stabilized in, I believe, 1956. There are several versions in the Pre A era ...
Greg Bryan

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#20 Post by George Krompecher »

Jules, message sent.
Greg and all, thank you for the additional info.
My aim is to have fun with the car, in the workshop and on the road. I'll gratefully take all and any remarks on what's right or wrong with the car.

Yesterday I removed the reverse light/license plate light fixture. Somebody in the past, not seeing the connectors, has cut the wiring clean off, then later proceeded to reconnect them with blue crimps (I hate those). But they reversed 2 wires, meaning the car had reverse and one license plate light on with lights on, and the second license plate light on when reverse was selected. This has been then corrected by stripping a wire in the fixture, cutting another wire and hand twisting the wires together under electric tape. Naked wires in a steel enclosure. What could go wrong?
Luckily, I love auto electricity.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#21 Post by Eric Lenius »

George,

One comment on the mirror. That is a correct optional accessory coupe day/night mirror for T-5 and it has the correct two screw mounting bracket. The thing I am uncertain about was when it was introduced (at the T-5 transition? or earlier). Our 1960 coupe has a mounting plate built in that has three holes in it to allow either the single screw mount mirror or the dual screw mount day/night mirror. It would be interesting to know if this mirror is listed on the Kardex.

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#22 Post by George Krompecher »

Eric, I didn't know that.
I don't have the Kardex, but I like the night/day function, so it stays.

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#23 Post by Eric Lenius »

Mercedes used the same mirror as well. With a different bracket of course. It is an interesting (complex) design and is fairly unusual.

manuel v. wilkinson
356 Fan

#24 Post by manuel v. wilkinson »

Hi:
Its a perfect Bondo creation of a restored Porsche 356A, good luck.................

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#25 Post by George Krompecher »

That is an exaggeration. There is some bondo indeed, but unless you put it there yourself, you are puting the car down for no constructive purpose.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#26 Post by Greg Bryan »

Keep the faith, George - you have a diamond in the rough and I don’t doubt it will be a stunner some day
Greg Bryan

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#27 Post by George Krompecher »

Thanks Greg, I have the faith. The Bondo won't slow me down in the Alps next summer...

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jules Dielen »

George Krompecher wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:03 am As I wait for the engine to be finished and installed, I have started inspecting the car for details and minutiae. The are LOTS wrong, to the point that I think the people who worked on the car were either incompetent, dishonest or limited by an inexistant budget.
I would welcome any and all criticism on the pictures posted below, as I will strive to rectify most irregularities.

George, while you are in there, see if you can find and open up the drain hole in the middle of the trunk opening in the nose. It looks like it was closed, which keeps any water from properly draining (and thus causing corrosion).
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.