Beige Knob paint?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Steve Nau
356 Fan

Beige Knob paint?

#1 Post by Steve Nau »

When I started restoring my 56 coupe several knobs were missing or damaged. The majority were beige so I have replaced most of the missing or damaged ones with new ones from Stoddard. The last remaining one is the cigar lighter knob which is in good shape but grey. Stoddard wants over $ 200 for a replacement beige one.

Has anyone found a good off the shelf paint that comes close to the knob beige? The Stoddard steering column beige is not a good match. The knobs have more yellow than it does.

Steve Nau
356 Fan

Re: Beige Knob paint?

#2 Post by Steve Nau »

Correction: what I need is an ash tray knob not a cigar lighter knob.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ah, the waterfall.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

The waterfall knob was used until the first week of April 1954 when a change was made to the "A" style knob. The question involves a 56 coupe indicating that the need is for an "A" style knob. By 1956 there were variations in color. The knob color is a Pandora's box of its own.
ashtray knobs.jpg
ashtray knobs.jpg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

If you find a good color it will not look that great because the knob is somewhat translucent and paint isn’t. It can be a fair approximation though.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#6 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hi, you could take one of the knobs with the colour you are happy with to a paint shop and get them to scan and mix it, here in UK minimum amount is is 500 Ml but a good supplier will do a lovely match and can put it in aerosols.
Go to your local hobby model store and match it yourself, the range of colours in those little modelling paint pots is astonishing and cost fluppence.
Last is to get to know someone/a company who knows about plastic casting to make a copy, this is probably the only way to get the translucence Martin mentions.
But as you are matching new a good colour match can be great, I'd say it's worth a try, starting with the modelling paints, as you can wipe it off and again
I've tried all 3 over the years and been happy with them all.
Hope this helps
V
V. Gillespie