T2 rear fender support question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
robert moglia
356 Fan

T2 rear fender support question

#1 Post by robert moglia »

As my metal work progresses I notice the right rear fender support is welded in place but the left side is bolted in place and removable. Some sheet metal purveyors do offer a unique right vs left brace, that seems unique to the A model.
My question: why would the left side be removable?
Just curious after spend 2 hours modifying one of mine.
Check out my progress! “Bob’s 356A project”
KTF
Bob

Dick Roth
356 Fan

Re: T2 rear fender support question

#2 Post by Dick Roth »

Although I know absolutely nothing about the fender brace positioning, I am taking a wild guess that it could have something to do with the possibility that if the chassie was to be built up as a Carrera there would be access for the remote oil tank and stone guard on the left rear.
Experts can laugh me out on this one.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Roth »

Although I know absolutely nothing about the fender brace positioning, I am taking a wild guess that it could have something to do with the possibility that if the chassie was to be built up as a Carrera there would be access for the remote oil tank and stone guard on the left rear.
Experts can laugh me out on this one.

robert moglia
356 Fan

#4 Post by robert moglia »

That sounds very plausible!
Check out my progress! “Bob’s 356A project”
KTF
Bob

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

On T1 and T2 A Carreras, the left rear fender bracket is the oil tank stone shield. That's why the left rear fender bracket is removable on in pushrod cars. I'm not sure when they dropped the bolt on and began welding it in., probably with the B cars.
I should add: T1 cars were all set up to take the Carrera engine, whether or not they had one. The RR fender brace is in the way of the Carrera oil tank, so it is removable. T2 cars omitted a lot of the Carrera only things, I'm not sure about the RR removable fender brace. Later pushrod cars just had the brace welded in as on the left.