Blue stripe shop towel

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jim Wayman
Registry President

Blue stripe shop towel

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

When and where (models, years) were the shop towels with the 2 blue stripes used?
Jim Wayman

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: Blue stripe shop towel

#2 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Who the heck knows? ... but I sure want one! :D
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#3 Post by Peter Bartelli »

I've only seen those towels in original 356 travel kits. The very early 9xx travel kits may have had them too, dunno. However, my 1969 911T travel kit has a towel but without the blue stripe(s).

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#4 Post by Jim Wayman »

I thought they were travel kit towels and had seen a discussion about them, but couldn't find it. My recollection is that they were specific to a certain travel kit. Anyone have more info.
Jim Wayman

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Timothy Board
356 Fan

#6 Post by Timothy Board »

I have complete original travel kits for the 356B, 356C and early 912 vehicles. The 356's all have original towels with the blue yarn above and below the "PORSCHE" letters.
The towel for the early 912 does not have the blue yarn.

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Scott »

Here is my "Sermon On The Porsche Tool KIt Shop Towel" - For what it is worth, there isn't any factory documentation that substantiates or suggests that ANY 356 tool kit ever had a shop towel! Travel kits yes but not tool kits. The story that I heard many ears ago was that Chuck Stoddard decided, (dreamed up) the idea and he had some made to sell for $10.00.
If there is any factory documentation to the contrary I would like to know about it and I will apologize. Otherwise, an owner can include whatever he wants in his tool kit, but don't be surprised if a knowledgeable judged deducts points for including a towel.
I hope that I didn't destroy a perfectly good after market industry. Knowledge is power.

Jesse Rodriguez
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jesse Rodriguez »

I have two, original A travel kits. One came originally with my '59, purchased from the original owner. The other came from a '58 with the towel and blue yarn/stripe. This kit still has the original GREEN 8 X 11 green paper sheet listing all contents of the travel kit including: 1 Putzlappen = duster

Based on my limited research of several towels with the blue yarn/stripe, is that some of the towels with the blue yarn/stripe are not identical, the towel in itself and the blue yarn/stripe

Tom, respectfully speaking, the travel kits being somewhat rare, it would appear unlikely that only travel kits had the towels with the blue yarn/stripe and that they all came from Stoddard, ab initio or later in life.

I believe that Timothy Board has done extensive research in this area and I don't believe his research indicates that the towels with blue yarn/stripe came from Stoddard.
I am not speaking for Tim Board. However, pursuant to our extensive conversations re. this subject matter, the issue of Stoddard being the creator of the PORSCHE towel with the blue yarn/stripe has never been mentioned.