Blaupunkt radio faceplate

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
norman may
356 Fan

Blaupunkt radio faceplate

#1 Post by norman may »

I have a restored D series Blaupunkt radio to be installed into my 1960 B T5, however it does not have a face plate. Would anyone be able to show me the the correct face plate for a D series radio? A photo or drawing would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Norman May

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Blaupunkt radio faceplate

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are some pics on Charlie White's site in the Resources/vendors section. One is noted as NOT for a 356 (maybe Mercedes?) but there are a couple more pics. It looks like the chrome surround is correct.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Norman,

By faceplate do you mean this?
blaupunkt bezel.jpeg
blaupunkt bezel.jpeg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 5032 times

Or the frosted plastic piece like this?
becker faceplate.jpeg
becker faceplate.jpeg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
The top picture is really a "bezel", is correct for your car and is readily available on eBay etc. Be sure not to get one that says "BLAUPUNKT" on it, the 356 radios had the plain one as shown.

But, if you mean like the one on the bottom photo, that is a "faceplate" and they were typically on Becker radios. I am not saying a Blaupunkt was never delivered with one, but they were made specifically for Becker.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Did the faceplate as used on the A models carry over to the '60?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Mike Wilson wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:53 pm Did the faceplate as used on the A models carry over to the '60?

Mike
The chrome "bezel" did, yes. I am curious as to which one Norman is referring to.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know the chrome part carried over but on the A models, wasn't there a plastic face plate behind it?
Perhaps someone with an original set up on a '60 can weigh in.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#7 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Mike Wilson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am I know the chrome part carried over but on the A models, wasn't there a plastic face plate behind it?
Perhaps someone with an original set up on a '60 can weigh in.

Mike
Those were for Becker radios specifically, the Blaupunkt wasn't *typically* fitted with one. As I said earlier, no one can say that a Blaupunkt never came with one, but the Beckers virtually *always* did.

I have a Becker in my cab and it came with an ancient/original plastic faceplate. My coupe's Blaupunkt did not and I've never really ever seen a Blaupunkt with a plastic faceplate.

That's why I am curious if he is really referring to the chrome bezel. If he is, he needs one, but if he means the plastic faceplate then he does not.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#8 Post by Peter Silten »

My 63 B was fitted with a Motorola am/fm radio and had a metal faceplate identical to the one shown on SMC's website, which is no longer available:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Blaup ... 17212.html

I sold the faceplate when I replaced the Motorola radio with a Blaupunkt.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good points, Sebastian. I know Becker was a higher priced option and maybe a bit more "glamorous". You are probably right about the chrome surround. I would also defer to your picture, Sebastian, on Charlie White's site showing a Blaupunkt radio installation kit. No additional face plate shown. Other models, New Yorker for example, looks like they had one.

Norman, if you have a Blaupunkt D series, it only requires the chrome surround in Sebastian's first picture.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bob Forman »

When I got my 62 from an estate sale it came with a blaupunkt and a box of extra parts. In the box was a plastic faceplate for the radio. I tried like mad to get the faceplate to fit but the stalks on the radio weren't long enough. After all these years, I now know why. One of life's little mysteries is solved. Thanks.
Bob Forman

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joris Koning »

The face plate as shown by Sebastian were a Becker specific item. They were used because the radio face on the Beckers is smaller and would otherwise leave a gap on the dash. They came in three colours with the bright silver one shown being used from T5 onwards
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joris Koning »

Forgot to mention, the volume and tuning pot center lines is also in a different spot compared to the Blaupunkts
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#13 Post by Eric Lenius »

Joris Koning wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:51 pm Forgot to mention, the volume and tuning pot center lines is also in a different spot compared to the Blaupunkts
And, this is an important point since you have to make the holes for the controls oblong and the nut would not cover them. So, the plastic plate. I was initially disappointed to see the oblong holes on my coupe. I thought someone had hacked it up for some other radio. Then I read the Becker installation instructions that said to make the holes oblong. It then became clear to me why the plastic plates were used.

Eric L.

norman may
356 Fan

#14 Post by norman may »

Thank you to all those who answered my request for information as to the correct face plate for a Blaupunkt D series radio in my 1960 BT5.
My next question is are there any suggestions as to where I may be able to source a backing plate - the one that the chrome face snaps into between the radio and the rear side of the dash?
Many thanks,
Regards
Norman

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#15 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

norman may wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 am Thank you to all those who answered my request for information as to the correct face plate for a Blaupunkt D series radio in my 1960 BT5.
My next question is are there any suggestions as to where I may be able to source a backing plate - the one that the chrome face snaps into between the radio and the rear side of the dash?
Many thanks,
Regards
Norman

That too can be sourced on eBay but be aware that you’ll need a very specific one with the correctly positioned slots for the tangs on the chrome bezel. If you look on der White’s website you will see an NOS installation kit that shows the correct support plate, below is a shot of the plate and the hanger. The Samba can also be a source but again you need to make 100% sure you’re getting the correct one.
chuck's install kit.jpg
chuck's install kit.jpg (75.99 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
Another thought, if you can only find the plate without the slots, it may still work. The plate's main purpose is to support the radio against the dashboard so you need to have one. The plates for the VW Sapphire radios have a larger opening so the chrome piece will still "fit", it just won't be tight. That could be a temporary solution until you find the correct plate.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe