Filling In History Gaps For Our 356

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Ken Bowles
356 Fan

Filling In History Gaps For Our 356

#1 Post by Ken Bowles »

We own a 1961 T-5 B D'Ieteren Roadster. I purchased her from my father-in-law in 2006. He in turn purchased her in 1989 after which he oversaw a complete restoration over the following 8-9 years. At the other end of her history, she was originally purchased through Hoffman Motors in NYC by, from what I can discern from the handwriting, a Barbara Hassrick of Philadelphia. The car was serviced in Feb and Apr of 1962 at a shop called Speedcraft. I did some digging and found a "Speedcraft" about 100 miles from Philadelphia in Valley Forge, PA which is is still in business and looks like it could have been the service shop noted in the Kardex, as the shop's website indicates it services race cars and seems to have some history with and affinity for 356s. So that would make sense. There is a third service on the Kardex in Jun 1962 at what may be Hoffman again, but handwriting is unclear. I sent a note to Speedcraft to ask if they have any records but have received no reply. The intervening years, 1962-1989 is the history hole I would love to fill in if possible.

My father-in-law does not remember the person from whom he bought it, but he received a Statement Of Value for the car from Robert J. Jones of Jones' Autowerkes in San Antonio in Jan 1989, so his purchase must have been shortly thereafter. Jones' Autowerks, (slightly different spelling) is still in San Antonio and appears to focus on Porsches. I am attempting to contact them for any record, but I suspect they were just providing a valuation.

Researching Barbara Hassrick in Philadelphia, the most likely person I have come up with is of a Barbara and Kenneth Hassrick. Described as a wealthy newlywed couple, they commissioned the renowned mid-century international style architect Richard Neutra to design a home in Philadelphia's East Falls neighborhood in 1958. This also could make sense as someone drawn to Neutra's work would likely also be drawn to the pure clean lines of the 356 at the time. If newlyweds in the mid-50s, she, if still alive, would be likely at least in their mid-80s now if not older.

If it helps anyone who might have any info on our car, she is a numbers-matching example with chassis no 89453, engine no 89451 and gearbox no 45256. Thanks for anything that could help.
Ken Bowles
1961 356B T-5 D'Ieteren Roadster

Greg Haskin
356 Fan
Tag: gh356

Re: Filling In History Gaps For Our 356

#2 Post by Greg Haskin »

Good luck on your search for additional history. It's always fascinating to learn more about what your car has been through, and who took it there. My Roadster is 89458, so very close to yours. Do you know the story of some of the Belgian cars that were completed at D'Iereren? There was a batch that were never sent to Germany - just shipped directly from Ixelles. Mine was one of those, and it's possible that yours is as well. A lot of 356 "experts" have no idea that there is such a thing as a Belgian Porsche. There are a few threads on the subject in the archives. There used to be a D'Ieteren registry that was closely held by one gent who was unwilling to share the data base. Sadly, he is no longer with us and it appears that his files are gone. These are special cars, and you are lucky to have one.

Ken Bowles
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Bowles »

Greg, thanks for the reply. I was not aware that some of the Belgian cars were shipped directly to owners/dealers. Sure wish that registry still existed. I have been in touch off and on with the owner of 89452, also a D'Ieteren, just one ahead of mine and in the same color combination. She is currently in New Hampshire and being restored last I heard.

What part of the country/world are you in, if you don't mind saying?
Ken Bowles

Greg Haskin
356 Fan
Tag: gh356

#4 Post by Greg Haskin »

I'm on the Central Coast of California. My car is a normal, Aetna Blue with red interior. I believe all D'Ieteren numbers begin with 89xxx. It well worth searching out the threads on these cars. Fascinating history.

Ken Bowles
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ken Bowles »

Mine is a 1600 Super, Fjord green over light grey. Are you planning on attending the West Coast Holiday in Bend if it happens?
Ken Bowles

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#6 Post by William Block »

From the D’Ieteren registry
'61/'61 356B-T5 D'Ieteren roadster #89453
616/2 P*
741/?
Color/upholstery/carpet/top
Sonderausführung:
Built del
Bill Curson, MO
88, condition?, listed (D’Ieteren registry)
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Ken Bowles
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ken Bowles »

Thanks, William. Bill Curson is my father-in-law from whom I bought the car.
Ken Bowles

Rolf A Hofer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rolf A Hofer »

Ken,
You are looking for Speedcraft Enterprises in Frazer. Try
https://speedcraftspecial.com/wpperfect/
If that link does not work, try googling Otto Linton Speedcraft Enterprises. Otto was a go-to shop in the Phila area. When that shop was closed, I bought some Porsche maintenance manuals which I still have.
And you said the second service handwriting was unclear. Might it be Holbert? That would be another Porsche specific shop at that time.

Good luck.

Bud and Judy Hofer
ConvD
Judy Hofer
SE PA
1959 Conv D

Ken Bowles
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ken Bowles »

Bud and Judy,

Thanks. That is the Speedcraft to which I sent my inquiry. No response so far other than what appeared to be an automated "I got your message".

The third service entry looks to begin with Hoff... but is a much longer word than Hoffman. But it does not look like Holbert.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.12.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.12.15 PM.png (288.33 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Ken Bowles

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hoffman NY perhaps?
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ed Pimm »

Ken,
I can't help you with any history about your car but we do have something in common. I used to own 89459, D'Ieteren 1961 Roadster Aetna Blue, Red interior. It was a great looking and driving car. As Greg says they are very special cars. I now own 89764, D'Ieteren Twin Grill 1962 Roadster. The other thing we have in common is that I also bought a car from Bill Curson. I believe it was 2005 when Bill advertised a 1964 C coupe for sale in the Registry classifieds. I remember looking through the classifieds very late one night and seeing the ad only minutes after it was posted. I responded to Bill and the next day we sealed the deal. The best part was when I told Bill where I lived he said he would be travelling soon to southern Ohio and would be able to deliver the car to me. The car was much nicer than Bill had described and he wouldn't let me pay him for the delivery. What a truly nice guy your father in law is.
Sorry I couldn't help with the history of your Roadster, wish you luck in filling in the missing pages, but please let Bill know I am thinking of him and his 64 C coupe is doing fine. Below is a pic of the car at the Bellefontaine Hill Climb last year.
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Ed Pimm

Ken Bowles
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ken Bowles »

Ed,

I have forwarded your comments and photo on to Bill. I am sure he will appreciate the update on his Coupe. I remember that car from when I first got to know him. He kept it in a garage at their church. He is indeed one of the most generous people I know, almost to a fault. When I bought the Roadster from him, I had to insist on paying him market interest as I was buying on installments.

Another interesting story about him is we stopped at the Peterson Museum in L.A. 3 years ago to view "The Porsche Effect" exhibit, which was amazing in and of itself. But in looking over a case of PCA memorabilia, we noticed that two of the older PCA grill badges on display were donated to the club by Bill. He gets around and my wife and I have estimated that he has owned almost 30 Porches over his lifetime. When born, she was even brought home from the hospital in a 356. He currently has a Boxster.

Thanks for the post!
Ken Bowles