Help Deciphering my Kardex. #112374

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Tom Dux
356 Fan

Help Deciphering my Kardex. #112374

#1 Post by Tom Dux »

Can any Kardex experts please help me w/ a few points/questions on my Kardex? It’s all pretty straightforward for the most part I think, however my questions are;

1.) Notation (red arrow) in regards to what appears to be a factory engine change. First of all, was this “common”? And anybody know what the notation following the new handwritten number says? Is it a technicians name perhaps? Also, why wouldn’t that engine change be noted in the block just below, translated to “new engine number” instead of scratched in above in the header margin?

2.) Händler “Red boxed area”... trouble discerning that first line, anyone? Is second line “Porsche, Salsbg” as in Porsche Salzburg? If so why would a car that above states a Toronto delivery via “VW Canada” with a buyer delivery date of 7/7/60, then have 3 notations in warranty/work area on Kardex before appearing at (4th line) VW Canada on 10/18/60? Could this have been a “tourist delivery” car or something of the like?

Any and all help here is GREATLY appreciated! Or better yet if ANYONE happens to know ANY history on the specific car I would be eternally grateful!!! Lots of blanks that I’d love to fill in between 1960 and about 5 years ago. Cheers.

Tom
Attachments
3CE4785E-AE56-4E55-B671-F07171E5F606.jpeg
3CE4785E-AE56-4E55-B671-F07171E5F606.jpeg (933.86 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Help Deciphering my Kardex. #112374

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

The arrow says laut fahrzeugkarte, so it looks like there was conflicting info at the plant. The top number should be the engine in the car.

Red frame, your hunch is right. Ordered in canada as a tourist delivery. First warranty done at fleischhauer. The second issue was fixed at porsche salzburg.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott McAdams »

Tom, I have some weird, handwritten phases on my Kardex as well. I used Google Translate to decipher them. It takes a while - but it is worth trying. The App recognizes handwritten words and does the best job it can on deciphering. If you play with it, you might get lucky.
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Who needs Google when we've got Jules?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tom Dux
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Dux »

Jules Dielen wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 pm The arrow says laut fahrzeugkarte, so it looks like there was conflicting info at the plant. The top number should be the engine in the car.

Red frame, your hunch is right. Ordered in canada as a tourist delivery. First warranty done at fleischhauer. The second issue was fixed at porsche salzburg.
Jules,

thank you GREATLY sir!! This is a very interesting little bit of info/history to the car that I was not aware of or had just previously overlooked.

Yes the handwritten/top number is in fact the engine that is in the car. The writing of “laut fahrzeugkarte” following that number is translated to “according to the vehicle card” this makes sense as maybe just a typo/clerical error hence the handwritten correction and not an actual “Motor-And.-Nr” or “new motor #” entry below.

The info in the red frame is fantastic... I love that the car had a bit of German/Austrian road time prior to coming to North America. Now if only I could find a photo of Gertrud on her trip!!! 🤞🏼 I have already reached out to Fleischhauer in Cologne & Bonn to see if they had service records this far back... no dice. Also sent a message to Porsche Salzburg.

Couple more questions... to the far right of the Fleischhauer entry it says “VW Canada bel” ...a German Porsche friend of mine says “bel” is likely meant to be “beleg”, meaning receipt. Does this make sense? And why would the Fleischhauer servicing line have a VW Canada receipt note? Additionally, the service immediately below the Salzburg entry is blank, thoughts here? Also a Salzburg servicing or is it anyone’s guess?

Thanks again for helping me piece together a bit of my cars past!!!
Scott McAdams wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:34 pm Tom, I have some weird, handwritten phases on my Kardex as well. I used Google Translate to decipher them. It takes a while - but it is worth trying. The App recognizes handwritten words and does the best job it can on deciphering. If you play with it, you might get lucky.
Thanks for the recommendation Scott... where would us Americans be w/o “google translate” right!?!
Wes Bender wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:32 am Who needs Google when we've got Jules?
Hahaha great point Wes!!! Jules for the win! What a guy, I owe him... all of you a round!! Cheers!!
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

Some sherlocking required there.. the blank entry just under porsche salzburg was performed a month after the one above.. not enough time for the car to get to toronto. So relatively safe to assume gertrud did her tour and returned to porsche salzburg for some other issue. Then the car went on the boat and 2 months later she had the car in canada for a claim.

As to the Beleg, i have seen this on many tourist delivery cars. I believe this is because the car was sold by the dealer in Canada, they 'booked' the warranty claim under canada. Probably easier to see where they had a lot of claims?
Jules

Tom Dux
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Dux »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:23 pm Some sherlocking required there.. the blank entry just under porsche salzburg was performed a month after the one above.. not enough time for the car to get to toronto. So relatively safe to assume gertrud did her tour and returned to porsche salzburg for some other issue. Then the car went on the boat and 2 months later she had the car in canada for a claim.

As to the Beleg, i have seen this on many tourist delivery cars. I believe this is because the car was sold by the dealer in Canada, they 'booked' the warranty claim under canada. Probably easier to see where they had a lot of claims?
Jules,

Once again THANK YOU for your knowledgeable insight here!

You seem to have quite a bit of intel regarding the tourist/euro delivery, I find it all quite fascinating. Any chance the factory would have taken a photo w/ each delivery/customer? Even if that WAS the case I’m sure it’s not something that would still exist OR that they would freely share!! Do you know if Porsche Classic, if contacted, can provide any kind of documentation, information etc on a specific chassis’s early life, other than a COA (which I do have)? Also, I’m guessing she would have likely had to return the car to Stuttgart for shipment to North America? How long did that journey “generally” take, sounds like well over a month!

THANK YOU!!!!

Tom
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jules Dielen »

I doubt they will have anything and if they do, they cant share any of it because of the German privacy laws.

Fwiw they still offer the tourist delivery program, pretty cool
Jules

Hanns Mueller-Rech
356 Fan
Instagram: erwin_loves_polo

#9 Post by Hanns Mueller-Rech »

Tom, Jules,

to come to the Porsche Salzburg thing....it is a bit more complicated, as this goes all the way back to the contract between the family Porsche and VW from 1948!

I assume, that the export had been "booked" via Porsche Salzburg, as at this time there seemingly had not been any Porsche Canada inc., but "only" an existing VW dealership network - Volkswagen Canada - so the warranty claims had been booked via Porsche Salzburg on behalf of Volkswagen Canada, the "bel" stands for german "belastet" which means "charged" or "booked"....so the warranty claim had been charged on the internal account of Volkswagen Canada.

The car had its first inspection at Fleischhauer, but was then delivered to the ports a that time. either Rotterdam, or Hamburg.
There will be a second inspection on arrival and prior to the delivery to the customer. hence no kilometer/milage listet.

just my 2cts
Attachments
B7D05D4F-4282-4230-9363-D211B1339024.jpeg
B7D05D4F-4282-4230-9363-D211B1339024.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 1829 times

Hanns Mueller-Rech
356 Fan
Instagram: erwin_loves_polo

#10 Post by Hanns Mueller-Rech »

btw....the „special wish“ Sonderwunsch Ausgleichsfeder, had also a nice advert,,;)
Attachments
5D43ACDC-8BC1-4A41-BF9E-97FE4617FCA4.jpeg
5D43ACDC-8BC1-4A41-BF9E-97FE4617FCA4.jpeg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 1826 times

Tom Dux
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Dux »

Hanns,

The plot thickens... or perhaps thins! Thank you for your 2cts sir. Very interesting. All that being said, how do YOU read the Kardex? And are you suggesting that the car perhaps was not a tourist delivery afterall?

Love the “Ausgleichsfeder” advert, had not seen that before! Thank you for sharing!

Also what is the story w/ the Porsche/VW Canada document in your initial reply? Very interesting!

Thank you ALL for your thoughts and expertise on this subject, it is GREATLY appreciated!!

Tom Dux
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jules Dielen »

Thank you Hanns for your input. VW Canada started selling Porsches back in 1952 and did so for decades. I somehow doubt those were all sent to German dealers and then to Salzburg first? And how did the car get 3100 miles in August at the second Salzburg visit, 2 months after delivery? Or perhaps I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say. Very cool folder by the way!
Jules

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jan Kolm »

Was this car assembled to North American or home market specifications (e.g., reflectors above or below bumper, rear lens colors)?
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Tom Dux
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tom Dux »

Jan Kolm wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:39 pm Was this car assembled to North American or home market specifications (e.g., reflectors above or below bumper, rear lens colors)?
Jan,

Everything says North American... reflectors above bumper (reflector provision holes below bumper however, but that’s normal right?), all red rear lenses.

Tom
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super

Tom Dux
356 Fan

#15 Post by Tom Dux »

[/quote]
(reflector provision holes below bumper however, but that’s normal right?)

[/quote]

Here...
Attachments
34868F71-7CDC-47C0-9D43-3AD1545F54A5.jpeg
34868F71-7CDC-47C0-9D43-3AD1545F54A5.jpeg (157.84 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Tom Dux
1960 356B 1600 Super