Fuel contamination Beck Gauge System

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Chris Stavros
356 Fan

Fuel contamination Beck Gauge System

#1 Post by Chris Stavros »

Hello friends,
I'm going to post this inquiring in two different forums, not knowing which will prevail with a sensible and successful solution, so pardon the extra bandwidth.

I'm resurrection a '55 Continental Coupe that has been parked since 1970. I'm not quite sure if the tank was full when parked, but I've found about 3/4's of an inch of grainy material ( like fine beach sand) that has semi dried to the bottom of the tank. There are parts where it is still ever-so slightly moist and oily, but for the most part its dry, brittle and flaky. After about two hours of sticking my arm through the filler hole, with flashlight beaming through the sending unit hole and using a variety of home made tools, I've cleaned about 60% of the crap out of the tank, but ruined my favorite old shop vacuum in the process.

My first question is, does anyone have a good suggestion as to how I can clean the remaining particles and debris from the tank. Would it be wise to take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out? Perhaps a (non flammable) liquid to dilute the debris and agitate the tank with some small rocks or chain to help break away the crap that's rested there for over 50 years?

Second Question! One of the two copper tubes that come from the "BECK" fuel gauge and pump is clogged and I've tried all sorts of methods to clear the tube. One blows through, but the center tube (largest orifice) is clogged with what appears to be old varnished gas. I tried boiling the end of the unit to see if that would breakdown the varnish, but I did not prevail. So, I guess I have two questions. Does anyone have a recommendation to clear the tube? OR, does anyone know of a company or person repairing these rare units?

Lastly, can a '58 or '59 tank be used in place of the tank, knowing that I'll not have a gauge available to reference my fuel supply.

You can reply to this post, or email me directly with our helpful suggestions.

All the best, stay well,

Chris Stavros
kecho356@sbcglobal.net

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Re: Fuel contamination Beck Gauge System

#2 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, had the same thing to sort out on our '55 fuel tank, although we didn't have as much crud to start with, we also vacuumed out as much as we could as well & a radiator shop did a lovely job cleaning up the rest, it came back as clean as a whistle. When inspecting it with a strong light it was so clean it showed up minute pinhole, which I doubt I would have seen without it been so clean, and would have caused much cursing and swearing if installed and filled!!

I'm sure there will be many other suggestions & sorry not a clue on the Beck gauge tubes.

V
V. Gillespie

Chris Stavros
356 Fan

#3 Post by Chris Stavros »

Thanks for the advice Vincent. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if I can't find a radiator shop that will get this tank clean. Two other list members made some suggestions as to repairing the capillary tubes, so I'll post my results at a late date.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jack Walter »

My local radiator shop can also apply a sealer to the inside of the fuel tank. I just had them recondition the fuel tank for a 1967 Land Rover I'm restoring (to Porsche quality standards).
Its an epoxy sealer that will protect the inside of the tank from rusting and seal any pinholes.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Note: these fuel tanks are lead-tinned steel and are soldered together at the seams, not welded. So don't heat them above what you would for soldering. And don't breathe the fumes when you do heat them.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#6 Post by Tom Coughlin »

If you haven't seen this, it may help.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42639&hilit=beck
 KTF, member #15