Convertible top recommendation

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Alan Pershing
356 Fan

Convertible top recommendation

#1 Post by Alan Pershing »

Just found out I need to get a new convertible top and headliner for my 61 356B Super 90. Can someone tell me who makes the closest to the original and/or who makes the highest quality top and headliner?

Many thanks in advance,

Alan

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Convertible top recommendation

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Autos international in CA has excellent materials. Not sure if Stoddard offers soft top material, closer to you.

Can't really recommend Autobahn
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#3 Post by Victor Ingram »

+1 Autos

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Robbins Top Co.
https://robbinsautotop.com/vehicle-index#porsche
Not going to name names but they buy their tops from these guys, at least, they used to.
I've had one of their tops on my Cabriolet for the last 30 years.

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I see they say it’s a 5 hour job to install a Cab top. Any idea if they offer that service? That’s fast!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Roth »

IMG00502-20101002-1448.jpg
IMG00502-20101002-1448.jpg (725 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
I bought a full tonneau for my Speedster from Robbins when they were in an old trolley barn on Lincoln Road in Santa Monica. German cloth. That was about 1974. It went with the car when I parted with it 44 years later!

Douglas Madsen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Douglas Madsen »

Alan,
We used Autos International. My wife and I removed the old top and frame, wrapped it in cardboard from the local big box store, and shipped it by UPS to Autos. They replaced the bad hardware pieces, painted the frame, installed a new top with headliner, and shipped it back. Turnaround time was four months (busy shop). We installed it. We are quite happy with the results. For a concours car, ask them about the Roy Smalley method.
Doug

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#8 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 pm I see they say it’s a 5 hour job to install a Cab top. Any idea if they offer that service? That’s fast!
I saw that, too. That's a pipe dream!
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Auto's +2, they did my top, it came out great.
Attachments
roadbbe.jpg
roadbbe.jpg (907.78 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alan Pershing »

Douglas Madsen wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:06 am Alan,
We used Autos International. My wife and I removed the old top and frame, wrapped it in cardboard from the local big box store, and shipped it by UPS to Autos. They replaced the bad hardware pieces, painted the frame, installed a new top with headliner, and shipped it back. Turnaround time was four months (busy shop). We installed it. We are quite happy with the results. For a concours car, ask them about the Roy Smalley method.
Doug
Thanks Doug, this is very helpful. Are there instructions somewhere for disassembling everything? I looked around online and my "Technical and Restoration Guide" but don't see anything detailed showing how to take it apart. I guess I could just dive in since everything on this car is pretty much bolted in place, but a guide would be very good.

Douglas Madsen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Douglas Madsen »

Alan,
First, call Autos International (972-742-6618) to find out how long the turn around time is in the time of Covid19.

How to Remove Top
Release the three top fasteners over the windshield and raise the top a few inches to release the tension. Place a small person in the seat behind the driver's seat, if you don't know where the side panel is. That person will have their left thigh against the side panel. Remove the side panel by unscrewing the large Phillips head screw at the rear of the side panel. Under the plastic rear window are two (one each side) turnbuckles. These turnbuckles are 24 inches apart. Release the tension on the turnbuckles by turning the turnbuckle body. The turnbuckle body may then be pulled from the ball joints. 15 inches in front of the turnbuckle (toward the front of the car) along the top/ body junction, you will find another tie-down (under the carpet) to be released. Remove these with a Philips head screwdriver. The tie-down may then be unscrewed from the semi-circular tube that holds the top securely to the car.

When you removed the side panel, you exposed the base of the folding top mechanism. You will find three large bolts at about a 30 degree angle from vertical. The bolts are held in place with nuts. Loosen the top and bottom nuts (they are adjusters for fitting the top) and remove the center nut (this bolt holds the top to the car). Fold the top as much as possible, and with a full sized person on each side of the car, gently wiggle the top rearward and upward to remove the top from the car. If it does not come off the car, stuff rags under the area of the three large bolts and douse the 2 Inch by 5 inch plate the three large bolts go through with your favorite penetrating solution. It will come off. Fold the removed top (with window zipper undone) and remove the round rod from the bottom back of the top to make a smaller package.

Go to your favorite big box store and find moving supplies. Use double corrugated cardboard for moving a large, flatscreen TV. Get two of them and a roll of clear packing tape. Wrap the top, keeping the package as small as possible. UPS seems to have the best price for shipping.

Alan Pershing
356 Fan

#12 Post by Alan Pershing »

Doug,

Thanks very much for the instructions! I'll contact Autos International and see what their turnaround times are currently.