Grey seal Rear turn signal

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

Grey seal Rear turn signal

#1 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Hi Wise ones.

Can anyone shed some light on the color of the rear turn signal rubber seal/gaskets? My hood handle has grey seals but i cant seem to find any info when the grey seals on the rear were used ?

Cheers,

Edwin

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

Re: Grey seal Rear turn signal

#2 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Bump my question...

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

Looks like the wise ones are all on vacation, Edwin. In Brett Johnson's book, page 55, under Hood Handles, he indicates that "By the introduction of the 356A light grey seals that were clearly visible were installed front and rear." By "front and rear" I would assume he meant front and rear of the handle. He goes on to say that by 1957 these were all black. I can't find any color reference to seals used on the rear of the car. Mine have always been black. ('57 A, '64 & '65 Cs) I know this doesn't adequately answer your question, but I didn't want you to think your inquiry was floating off into the ether....
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Not all the wise ones are on vacation, Edwin. Wes was listening...

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Hi Wes

Thank you for your reply ! I have read the same page. I found a set of grey seals for the rear turn signals, but there is no reference anywhere if these are valid or not. I just used these ones for now.

Perhaps there are more out there?

Cheers Edwin

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

I had some grey beehive base seals years ago that I got with a truck load of parts from Hoffman about 1968. Seals are long gone but International Mercantile makes some grey hood handle seals -- must be a reason to do that. Does anybody really know why such seal might have been made for Pre-A or early A cars?