Engine lid catch special washer

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Engine lid catch special washer

#1 Post by Jan Kolm »

I am in the long process of reassembling my '60 B coupe and am trying to identify whether washer part number 644.512.519.00 is the 4mm thick spacer fitted between the catch and the engine lid.

Neither the parts book nor service manual is clear in this regard.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Engine lid catch special washer

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

That looks like the 4mm one as the other washer is identified as a lock washer.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Jan, obviously the 644-512-519-00 washer was made up to correct an error in the lid/body assembly. You measure it at 4 mm thick. The bolt is M-6. For "reproductive purposes" what is the OD of that washer?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I was going to get that dimension for you but my deck lid latch doesn't have that washer.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jan Kolm »

Brad,

Perhaps this spacer answers the mystery regarding the letter or letters stamped on the rain shield. Its location in the T5 parts book is Figure 6/2, find number 43.

It doesn't make a lot of sense why a "washer" would have a unique Porsche part number, unless the part number represents a drawing that includes a table cross-referencing spacer thicknesses to letter codes, as originally provided by Reutter.

I am not even sure if the spacer belongs there in the first place, as the catch bolts included two mismatched flat washers, but its dimensions are 18mm OD x 7mm ID x 4mm thick. My letter code is "F."
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Because the washer has a "normal" Porsche part number, it is a specially made spare part.
If the part number started with "900", then it is a standard metric washer.
If the part number started with an "N", then it is a standard metric washer (VW hardware numbering)
If the part number started with "999", then one or more dimensions is off-standard.
In this case all dimensions are off-standard. That washer/spacer was used only in that application.

The dimensions you wrote do not equate to any standard metric washer -- not even close. Anybody out there find such washers under the 6 x 15 bolts holding the upper engine lid latch?

As to your words, "letter or letters stamped on the rain shield" , I very much doubt any connection. However, I do not know what those stamped letters in the rain shield of the engine lid mean. Perhaps, to find the meaning of the letter stampings, there might be a notation on the drawing for the lid -- who might have that drawing?

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

BTW, that washer is only listed for coupe models.

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jan Kolm »

As a follow-up: I purchased a copy of Neil's Book and on Page 72, there they are, as painted by Reutter.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#9 Post by Harlan Halsey »

There were such washers. A stack of plain 6mm washers will work. Once you find the right height for your car, if the stack bothers you, just machine a solid replacement, and move on.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brad Ripley »

Gee, I better get started on a reproduction of that washer! I guess all A and T-5 coupes should have it.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm beginning to believe that more engineering and research is being done now on these cars, than Porsche did originally.😁
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....