64 Carrera 2 sound insulation

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
David Petitti
356 Fan

64 Carrera 2 sound insulation

#1 Post by David Petitti »

I am looking for the rear most engine bay sound proofing for a 1964 Carrera 2. With the four cam engine they used a much thicker sound proofing horse hare type material.
Even a small piece (1 sq. ft.would be helpful. I am trying to overcome where a previous owner installed a spin on oil filter in the engine compartment cutting out a portion of the soundproofing to mount the filter console...Thanks, Dave

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 64 Carrera 2 sound insulation

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dave: I'm not familiar with the sound deadening for the Carrera. Is it that much different than the sound deadening for Karmann-bodied cars? A pic would be helpful. If it's the same, perhaps Bill Perrone of The Parts Shop can be of help as he has the correct-looking sound deadening back in stock.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Seeland
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Seeland »

Hi Dave,
The fiber insulation is covered with perforated aluminum sheet so the insulation material really doesn't show. I suppose the rear of the compartment could lack the aluminum? Call me and I can explain more fully. 303-238-3306 should be repaired on Monday.
David Seeland

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

As Dave describes, the back wall had a perforated cover which was over a jute backing. Jute was also on the other surfaces with the usual Reutter tar paper over that. Around the edge was an aluminum stripe held with sheet metal screws. Ref my car 122126.

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Scott »

Hey Dave,
I am also assisting in the restoration of a 1964 Carrera 2, still in the very early stages. I would be interested in your project, perhaps we can compare notes. Where is your project and what is the status?
Thanks,
Tom Scott

David Petitti
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Petitti »

Thanks for the feedback but I was trying ti describe the horse hare material in the rear and side portion of the engine bay. I ended up using the material made by Bill Perrone.
Engine all done and back in the car running great. Couple small oil leaks (don't they all) to address on the re-torque and valve adjust in 500 miles

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

David, there may be other opinions on this but your comment to retorque and adjust valves. Refer to valve clearance when receded when cam timing was done and keep that clearance if not right on clearance given in the manual. Changing valve clearance will impact cam timing. Just my two cents worth. Enjoy the ride. Miss my deuces
Rusty

David Petitti
356 Fan

#8 Post by David Petitti »

Thanks Rusty,
Valve adjust definitely effects cam timing, it only took 32 checks to get it right the first time (maybe an exaggeration) haha
Hope to get in done in half the attempts the second time. Car is going on a rally next month, should get about 700 miles. This winter task is to do the re-torque and valve adjust and take care of a couple remaining oil leaks. The goal is to have a non leaking, running four cam!