Tracing Car History

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Re: Tracing Car History

#16 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Edwin Ek wrote:The California DMV has a form called INF-70. For a very small fee, it will trace a car's registration and ownership history. The form asks for a reason for the search. I have always used the line: I have information about the car which would be of interest to previous owners. I get the sense that the DMV doesn't really care what you give for a reason.
Thanks for that suggestion. I was not aware of that form. Would I be correct in assuming it will only return registration information from California? Not from a national registry including other states.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#17 Post by Edwin Ek »

Were there cloth sunroofs on T-5 cars?

As far as I know, the INF-70 request is limited to searching California DMV data.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#18 Post by Trevor Gates »

Edwin Ek wrote:Were there cloth sunroofs on T-5 cars?
I am not aware of any, however there is a 1963 T6 with, what the seller claimed, was a Kardex that noted the fitment of a Webasto cloth sunroof from new. See the cloth sunroof thread, page 1 for details.

So... is it possible that Dennis’ car has a factory (Golde or Webasto) sunroof - yes most definitely. Once Dennis posts pictures with the headliner removed we’ll be able to learn more.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dennis Vogel »

I got the itch to take another run at piecing together the history of our car.
  • Contacted DMV of states where we had leads (i.e. license plates found in car). Only one could find the VIN, which was from our purchase. Others responded that they didn't find matches. Probably because they don't keep records from transactions that occurred in 60s or 70s
  • The one state with any records had a title registration doc that includes what appears to be a car dealer name. Internet search seems to suggest they aren't in business any more.
  • Found an oil change sticker in door jamb. Again business seems defunct.
  • A couple 60s window stickers for university parking. They replied, but again don't keep records that old.
  • 1967 window sticker from Mystic Bridge Commuter. Haven't been able to get replies from Massachusetts Port Authority
What paths am I missing that could kick up some useful info?
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

#20 Post by Pete Indelicato »

Are there any records on VIN history that the Registry has access to, other than the current members lists of cars.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#21 Post by Steve Douglas »

Dennis, In tracing a 356's history, I start with the Kardex, having the full Kardex may show the original owner/purchaser's information. From there you may be able to tell where the car was located when new. Did it provide an address? If so you can do a search on-line with Realtor.com or Zillow to see the previous sales of the home. If it's an apartment then maybe you be out of luck. Old phone directories which may be on line can be a great tool, and may list other members of the family as well as addresses. Local historical groups may have information too.
With the information you have from service stickers and the commute sticker you might be able to find someone in that area who is still active in the 356 from long ago. Old PCA region newsletters, many are on line now, they may show member information, maybe even show a picture of your car, or adds for service shops, and maybe even a classified add. Same with old Registry magazines Classifieds. I found an engine that was sold back in 1977 thru the Registry classified adds, called the number in Texas, same person who sold the engine answered and he remembered the buyer was in Salt Lake Utah. Did a search of those 356ers in Salt Lake and found a couple, one knew of a guy who had a 356 engine sitting in his shop for years. It was the engine I was looking for, returned it to it's S90 Roadster.
When did your car come to California? Local shops may know the car prior to your ownership. Neighbors might remember.
Genealogy websites can help you find people, obituaries and family, some may be willing to help you with your search.
It can be very daunting and may require thinking outside of the normal channels.

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Steve Douglas wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:56 pm I start with the Kardex... find someone in that area who is still active in the 356 from long ago. Old PCA region
I have a copy of the Kardex, which just indicates it was delivered to Hoffman in NY.

I had not tried the regional Porsche Clubs. That is a good thought. Thanks for that suggestion.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#23 Post by Steve Douglas »

Is your Kardex the whole sheet of just the top half. Years ago Porsche offered the Kardex but only the top portion. The bottom showed the warranty/ service work, and many times the original owners name and address, but not always. Locally in SF Bay Area Golden Gate was started in 1960, with Redwood Region following a few years later. Dave Merz might know the car or Dean Lyons as both have been in the North Bay doing Porsche forever.

Arnold Villafuerte
356 Fan

#24 Post by Arnold Villafuerte »

I also need to get the history of my 356 B T 6 1963 Karmann Coupe which I restored (took 3 years) here in El Salvador and won Best of Show in the Porsche Concourse three weeks ago.

The car was purchased in Miami in 1980, and was kept in a coffee warehouse. All matching n\umbers and I have a COA but need to know its history. The Dave e mail bounced.

Thanks to all who can help

Arnie .