Carrera GT Interior

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Bil Brown
356 Fan

Re: Carrera GT Interior

#31 Post by Bil Brown »

Thanks Dick
Bill Brown

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#32 Post by Dick Roth »

It's just a little hard to see, but you can note the doortops on my 59GSGT coupe. I sold this car to Road Scholars, and it suffered an unfortunate fate when the roof fell on it in a terrible gas explosion. It is however being restored by Porsche Classic in Holland as we speak... I expect it to rise like Phoenix from the ashes. A seminal example-4th overall in the 1959 Tour de France behind 3 SWB Berlinettas.
Attachments
20210903_184718.jpg
20210903_184718.jpg (916.33 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#33 Post by Bil Brown »

Yeah, I`ve followed your car`s story for years.....those A GT Coupes are rare birds!
Bill Brown

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#34 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Dick Roth wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:40 pm Bill, All the doortops on 356A's are steel. Period.
Since my door tops are vinyl covered, they look just like ordinary steel ones. However, a magnet which sticks strongly to the vinyl covered ones in my Convertible D doesn't stick to the door tops in my 1959 GT Carrera. I'm not about to strip the vinyl off to see, but I recall these as being wood. The tops under the quarter windows were omitted. These door tops were on the car when acquired it in 1977. Besides the end screws, these tops are screwed to the door panel below so the whole interior panel comes off in one piece.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe they are aluminum. Removing one screw would allow you to see. This is merely a thought, not anything I know about.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#36 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Martin,
In building these GT cars Porsche replaced several steel pieces with aluminum ones. So your suggestion is quite reasonable. However the door tops in my car are wood. Since we restored this basket case in the late 1970s, I just thought I'd check to see if my recollection is correct, and it is. Since I am not he original purchaser of this car, I cannot say with certainty that it was delivered this way. But since I know who the previous owners were, I think it highly unlikely that any of them would have modified the door tops.
Maybe I should strip the covering, refinish the wood door tops, and tell everybody the car is a Mercedes Benz?

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#37 Post by Joris Koning »

Dick Roth wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:55 pm It is however being restored by Porsche Classic in Holland as we speak... I expect it to rise like Phoenix from the ashes. A seminal example-4th overall in the 1959 Tour de France behind 3 SWB Berlinettas.
Dick, I looked at the car a couple of months back. They had stripped all the exterior panels off and were working on the "rurhbau" Fantastic car, wish I could had purchased it but I was lazy in following the copart auction. Can only blame myself
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#38 Post by Dick Roth »

Joris, It certainly is a fantastic car and hopefully Frans is going to be a great caretaker. I expect that he will. He has invited me to come to Amsterdam to drive the car when it is complete, and I just may take them up on that. More to the point, I'm really excited to see what it's going to look like. Short of special variants like the Abarth, I've always believed that this is the ultimate 356, certainly with the basic Komenda formsprache...