1956 356A Speedster interior colors

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Paul Vartabedian
356 Fan
Tag: toothfixer

1956 356A Speedster interior colors

#1 Post by Paul Vartabedian »

Can anyone shed some light on 1956 356A interior colors. Body work is nearing completion on my 1956 356A Speedster and I have to make some choices soon. The VIN on my Speedster is 82048. COA states production completion date 2/9/56, exterior color white, interior material color/type black / leatherette. I think the steering column knobs and wheel should be grey, but there are some that suggest it should be beige/tan.

The information form Dr. B. Johnsons book " The 356 Porsche a restorers guide to authenticity" suggests most 1954-1959 356 & 356As with a black/grey upholstery had grey knobs and steering wheel. He also mentioned that there were correlations between top frame color and knob color in Speedsters. Some restorers have told me all white 1956 Speedsters had beige carpet, steering column and steering wheels. However, the book " Porsche Speedster typ 540", has a section on advertising and printed material by Jim Perrin, that suggests that 1955 colors may have carried through to 1956 speedsters. He shows a dealer color show room book with a page indicating 1955 white speedsters with black interior had grey carpet. Did 1955 interior colors carry through to 1956? Did Porsche offer grey carpet with grey or beige steering wheel and knobs? or did Porsche offer beige carpet with black interior in 1956?

I hope some of you can share what you know. I am pulling my hair out over this !

I tried to load pictures but I keep getting "file type invalid"

Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

Re: 1956 356A Speedster interior colors

#2 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Paul, I have the kardex for my car #82336 built 6-6-56 the color is weiss-white the upholstery k'elder schwarz-black, the carpet is a dark gray with black piping. I can't help with the steering column or knobs.
My car came with black knobs and black steering column with no evidence of tan or gray . That combination for an A model is very rare and I don't know if it came that
way or the previous owner changed them.
Good luck Mike

Paul Vartabedian
356 Fan

#3 Post by Paul Vartabedian »

Thanks Mike. I am leaning towards grey carpet, unless there is evidence to the contrary. Do you think the carpet was changed on your car? There seems to be a consensus that black knobs were not used until later years.

Thanks again for your input.

Paul V.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Paul:
Have you tried to contact Brett Johnson in reference to your colors? He might be the authority here. Mention his book and your questions.

The top frame, steering wheel column, and turn signal cover were all the "same color," a gray beige, but were all subbed out to different makers, so the different pieces often did not match up 100% in color. Stoddard has a beige color spray for that but some folks make their own. Perhaps you could try Wilhoit for color swatch or paint?

Steering wheel, knobs, turn signal tip, and door handle escutcheons matched but not always 100%. Mine are white, but I have a 57.

Folks seem to fixate on oatmeal carpet but there were other choices. My 57 had charcoal gray, and I obtained a replacement from Autos International. My advice would be to keep your color palette simple - 3 colors max - if you have latitude. Otherwise, follow your COA. If it doesn't specify, then you have options...

Good luck in your search.

Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Paul, I bought my car when it was 17 years old. The carpets were in pretty though shape charcoal gray. About five years latter I put in new carpet.
The carpet on the back of my seats is still original to the car. Charcoal gray.
Mike

Paul Vartabedian
356 Fan

#6 Post by Paul Vartabedian »

Thanks Ron. Most of the people I talk to say beige. But Brett Johnson stated in his book black upholstery correlated with grey wheel and knobs etc. Do you have a contact for Brett Johnson??

Thanks for you input

Paul V.

Paul Vartabedian
356 Fan

#7 Post by Paul Vartabedian »

Thanks Mike for sharing your insight. What year is your car?? Petrolicious has posted a video of the same year and color of my 1956 356A speedster. It clearly shows grey steering wheel, knobs, steering column and carpet. It looks nice. But most people I talk to say it should be beige steering, knobs, etc... Thanks again for sharing your info. Paul V.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Paul:

Look up Beeman Jorgensen Publishing on the Internet for contact info.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Don Zingg would be the person to talk to.

That said, white exterior paint with black leatherette and grey carpet and grey knobs + steering wheel was very common on pre-A Speedsters.

Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mike Vollmer »

My car is a 1956 #82336 left factory 6-6-56
Mike

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#11 Post by Donald Zingg »

Hi Paul,

See page 242 in the Speedster Typ 540 book - - -
Most of the color assignments on that list carried over into 1956 with the exception of the steering column, turn signal switch housing, and side curtains. The color of the steering column and turn signal switch was changed to compliment the color of the steering wheel. The side curtain construction was simplified by using the same material/ color on the inner and outer panels.

Paul Vartabedian
356 Fan

#12 Post by Paul Vartabedian »

I believe I found evidence to support what most of you have suggested. I took the steering column for media blasting and noticed a small band of GREY paint. The original white was painted over black. Then several years ago an attempt was made to repaint the car. The car was painted in primer and the underside with truck bed liner coating. I never noticed the small band of Grey paint on the steering column, most of it was in grey primer. I attached a photo of the steering column.

I will go with grey steering column, turn signal housing, steering wheel, grey knobs, and grey top frame. Using subtle shade differences between them to account for various suppliers. I will also go with grey carpet with black edging, and grey carpet seat backs.

Thank you Don for your input.

Thanks again Mike, James and Ron for your input and advise.

Paul V.
Attachments
Steering column before media blasting. Note band of original grey paint.
Steering column before media blasting. Note band of original grey paint.

steve brown
356 Fan

#13 Post by steve brown »

Ok, So... My top frame was originally Gray "Grau" from the factory... problem is the original top was black on the outside; but bleu gray or "Blaugrau" in the inside... and that is no longer available, for at least for 30 + years - now it's Tan or Black-

What color do you go with - Tan top frame & tan headliner... Ya I know !

Your thoughts are much appreciated - Early 1957 83137 singnalrot 601 R (K)
cheers -

steve -
STEVE BROWN

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#14 Post by Steve Douglas »

Steve, I think that Haartz Twillfast JX is still available with the blue/grey interior layer. I friend had is Speedster top redone 2-3 years ago and a section of fabric was bought from a shop in Germany that had some. Maybe someone in Europe can resource some for you.