Beehive glass lens

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: Beehive glass lens

#31 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Where is Robert Raucher when you need him. In 2000 when I was restoring my Speedster 82984, I was looking for beehive lens for the rear. They were selling assemblies for about $75 each then and Robert offered the set of 4 that he had for about $1100. I was taken back a bit by the price and by the time I got back to him they were gone. I mentioned "the price" asked to whichj he replied...didn't I tell you that they were glass? Well he said that they were now gone and sold to an eager purchaser that had a 550 that he was restoring.

I never saw them, but I do have clear glass ones on the front.

The glass ones would be much better for illumination because you could run higher wattage bulbs. Even with 12V and lights on same side wired in tandem for turns and stops, night driving could still be viewed as perilous.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#32 Post by Steve Harrison »

Guess what just showed up on Ebay.
No connection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE- ... 27be807409

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#33 Post by Peter Silten »

Those are Hella, not SWF.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#34 Post by Steve Harrison »

Yes, true, but what would they go on if not beehive 356?
I surely don't know but they look awfully similar to the SWF ones in shape.

This seller is selling a lot of early original parts,...and has owned some significant cars. Wish I knew what the scoop was on these glass lenses.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#35 Post by Peter Silten »

There were a number of other cars that featured beehive turn signals.

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#36 Post by Tom Scott »

I do not believe the lenses on Ebay are corect for early Pre A, 1950-1952. The correct lenses should not have the bee hive spiral, or concentric circles. They should have grooves on the inside which go from the back to the point at the front. Also, I have never seen bee hive lenses with the notches of mounting screws.
Most maker lights were derived from European trucks in the early days.
Dr. Lens

John Wurner
356 Fan

#37 Post by John Wurner »

Here is a picture of one I have, clearly marked SWF at top center.
Attachments
A sig lens glass SWF.JPG

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#38 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Bump up of this thread.

A seller sold me a set of original beehive K1485 lights incl bulb filaments. allthougt the chrome rings and the filaments look original, (incl numbers stamped) i noticed on receiving that the red lenses dont have the frosted inside texture. see pictures
To me it looks like replacements/replica, but perhaps i'm wrong and the 1485 could be delivered without the frosted inside?

for comparison i added my original 1481 lenses next to it to see the difference in frost and non frost.

Left side the received lens, right side my own.

Anyone?
IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 1155 times

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#39 Post by Spencer Harris »

Edwin,
A closer look at some lenses will reveal a number 1 or number 2 cast into the inside. James Davies called my attention to this feature several years ago, and maybe he will chime in here with updated definitive application details.
No 1.JPG
No 1.JPG (128.48 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
No 2.JPG
No 2.JPG (169.14 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
I have three sets of beehives configured as follows. The 55 lenses were removed from the car early on and teardrops were installed. I got the original fixtures, lenses and numbered bezels in a box of spares when I bought the 55 coupe in 1972. My hunch is that pebbled & numbered lenses were original and plain lenses were replacements - just a hunch.
Summary.JPG
Summary.JPG (28.17 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#40 Post by Edwin Tiben »

Hi very curious where this is going ;)

I have 3 pebbled lenses of which one is the lower model, all Without number.

These “new” plain ones just look different. They also are a little less dark red when a light shines through

When I look at currently offered replacements they all do have the pebbled inside as far as I can see, so perhaps these were early replacements?

According to seller the set I bought came from a stash from a Porsche collector. There weren’t cheap so when some one offers them as original they should be, not replacements..

RSTOAD
356 Fan

#41 Post by RSTOAD »

John Warner I have seen seen this lens numerous ties on A cars not on Pre-A cars during my early shop days. Bill Edwards

Edwin Tiben
356 Fan

#42 Post by Edwin Tiben »

RSTOAD wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 pm John Warner I have seen seen this lens numerous ties on A cars not on Pre-A cars during my early shop days. Bill Edwards
Bill, you mean the left red lens?

regards Edwin