How long does it take to rebuild 356C calipers/possible scam

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: How long does it take to rebuild 356C calipers/possible scam

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

If worse comes to worse you could build a cart, I use them for cars that have no suspension. Then you could use a rollback.
Attachments
IMG_1110.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I know that Wyoming is a not very populous state but rent a Uhaul trailer and go over with several friends, get the wheels on it any way you can and get that car out of there! Since you are in Wyoming surely you or one of your friends (or their son) has a pickup to pull the trailer.
Attachments
IMG_1071.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jay Darlington »

the guy sounds like a flake, i would be careful and cover ALL your bases. i would sure get my insurance co. involved, most likely won't help but they should know what's going on.
Jay D.
jay darlington

George Hussey
356 Fan

#19 Post by George Hussey »

200 per caliper for a perfect replated piece is the standard price. Our man Pat mcleash does a superb job
George Hussey

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

You mentioned that you have been in contact with the sheriff. I would explain to the sheriff that you need to recover your car and have them meet you at the shop to witness the recovery and payment. Again, get a signed invoice PAID IN FULL before you leave.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:05 pm You mentioned that you have been in contact with the sheriff. I would explain to the sheriff that you need to recover your car and have them meet you at the shop to witness the recovery and payment. Again, get a signed invoice PAID IN FULL before you leave.

Mike
The cops call that a "Civilian Standby", they technically can't get involved, but they can stand by. I almost had to do this with a shop in FL one time who was holding my car. I told the shop owner I was getting on a plane the next day, getting picked up by the local cops and would see him by noon, he released my car. I was kind of looking forward to the cop fun, but it didn't happen.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

The cops did actually accompany you?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:19 pm The cops did actually accompany you?
I called the Port Richey Police and spoke to a Detective. He said they had been through this before and said he would help. He offered 2 big Troopers and a pickup at the airport to ride me over to the shop to retrieve my car. When I told the shop owner the plan he quickly changed his tune of "possession is 9/10 of he law" and whatever else he had in mind. So I didn't have to make the trip. Like I said, it was a "Civilian Standby", I retrieve my car and they stand by.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad it worked out for you, Adam. It sounds like the shop was "motivated".

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:06 pm Glad it worked out for you, Adam. It sounds like the shop was "motivated".

Mike
He lost his shop within a year, apparently I wasn't the only person who had caught on. He's a used car salesman now.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

#26 Post by Pete Indelicato »

I've never done it, but how long would it take to rebuild calipers yourself--I mean how hard could it really be? Had to ask.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#27 Post by David Jones »

Impossible to answer that question Pete. For me an afternoon at the bench. For many of my less mechanically gifted friends an impossible task..
I cannot paint anything without it looking like a 10 year old was involved.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#28 Post by David Jones »

Removed by edit
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#29 Post by Martin Benade »

So at least in that way you are very young.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#30 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Pete Indelicato wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm I've never done it, but how long would it take to rebuild calipers yourself--I mean how hard could it really be? Had to ask.
Pete,
It depends on what you mean by rebuild. There's a recent video on a full concourse rebuild involving replacing the bolts and replating he calipers. But if you mean repair, then the hardest part is getting the pistons out of the calipers. The car brake system can be used to do this. You have to have a way to hold one piston temporarily while you free up the other. They both have to come out the last bit nearly together. A little rust inside the cylinder is irrelevant as the only contact is to the square o-ring. The o-ring groove is usually fine. If the pistons are not too badly pitted, they will still seal. If all goes well, as it usually does, I can probably replace the seals in both calipers, front or rear, in an easy afternoon. I use compressed air and do it on the bench. Never grease as that's too messy. A lift would make this job a lot easier.
Had the mechanic in the horror story here been competent, he could have repaired only the offending caliper in a couple of hours plus the time to get the rebuild kit or order a new caliper.