62 Roadster Winshild

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
jerry and kathy smalley
356 Fan
Tag: Jerry

62 Roadster Winshild

#1 Post by jerry and kathy smalley »

I would like to replace my pitted windshield but have been warned that it is a very hard job. Stoddard offers the windshield and the molding gaskets ect. How hard is it?
62 Cab
62 Roadster
2012 Cayman R

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: 62 Roadster Winshild

#2 Post by Jon Schmid »

Find a pro to install it and make sure the gaskets and all other bits properly fit. All of the literature that I have read indicates that it is very easy to crack the windshield if the installation isn't done just right. Good luck!!

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

+1 with Jon

They were designed to be removed, then raced and put back on. I remember when I was a kid, glass off, top off, roll bar in, go race. Then people reversing the order and driving home. But the outer post have now rusted, the body flexed the glass bent and the new glass does not fit the changes of the in the cowels . I agree have a pro change it, his insurance will cover the cracks.

I would seriously look at polishing the original and see how that turns out first.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Unless it's really really bad I would not touch it. When I had my car painted I had them go around the frame, with the glass in place, because I was worried it would never go in right again.
I've heard of guys going through three windshields cracking before they get one to stay in nicely.
Attachments
105.jpg
74.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jon Schmid »

Adam, you also have a Registry decal on the windshield. Another reason not to change it!! 8)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Wasn't there a fairly recent discussion on variations of the sizes of the windshields?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#7 Post by Paul Lima »

I gave up trying and resorted to a lexan windshield. Indestructible and very forgiving of the crappy fit and Flexi-flyer host.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

It is the one job we will not do in our shop. The last Roadster windshield I installed went in fine. It was cracked the next morning. Ug, Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Erickson »

The main problem I ran into was that the glass from Stoddard (made by Pilkington) does not have the same curvature as the original glass. About ¼" less on each side. So you need an installer who is familiar with that problem. The metal frame for the windshield can be bent to fit the glass. You also might want to contact Sierra Madre and see if they get their glass from a different source than NLA/Stoddard. I ended up using a new windshield made in China that matched the curvature perfectly, but I do not know who sells it. I bought it from another member. However, it was not a perfect fit either, it was about 5mm too short. If you peel back the rubber top gasket at the corners you can see the top of the glass. I plan to pull the windshield yet another time and glue ¼" strips of rubber in the bottom gasket channel.

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#10 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Be very careful where you source a windshield from,and be sure to do an exact comparison to the existing windshield.
A good friend here in Cincinnati who runs a restoration shop had to eat the cost of 3 Speedster windshields that were purchased from Stoddard.
He finally made a template to compare the curvature of the new versus the original after cracking the three purchased and they were quite different.
Luckily I had a extra purchased about 20 years ago that worked out just fine.
Leave it to the pro`s for sure.
Peter Boettcher

George Hussey
356 Fan

#11 Post by George Hussey »

I broke two until I got the hang of it.
George Hussey

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

If you follow the procedure laid out by Porsche in the Service Bulletin about Roadster/D windshields it is a long list of stuff to do like quarter turns on the frame bolts and lots of tedious things. They knew it was a problem, and this is when the cars were relatively new and unrestored, dealing with Porsche parts. So multiply the problems in today's environment.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brett Meyer
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brett Meyer »

Removing the existing w/s and installing should not be a big problem,
A new or different one -- make sure it will float a tad - top to bottom as not too tall , get it trimed/cut at a good glass shop.
I have had ours out a few times over the years but the same one went back in,
Biggest pain for me is getting the 3 roadster trim pieces back on the bottom rubber molding , and they are the original pieces as is all the frame -- repo ones more time involved .
Heck I even removed it a few years back just to get the flex polisher on the cowl under bottom w/s moulding ,
and of course when I did the interior as you can't install new vinyl on the dash with the w/s in place.
 '60 Roadster -87234- Mom & Dad purchased in 1960

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

Brett, that’s cheating quite a bit to reinstall the original glass.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brett Meyer
356 Fan

#15 Post by Brett Meyer »

Martin ,, cheating ---maybe a little,
but I was just making a point if you have an established glass and frame the R&R in not too difficult on the roadsters/D's.
But when replating the frame and original glass ,some tweaking is likely .
Repo/ not the original car glass even more,
 '60 Roadster -87234- Mom & Dad purchased in 1960