356 Trailered Road Trip - Interstate 40

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

356 Trailered Road Trip - Interstate 40

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

I'll soon be trailering our 356 chassis to my home garage so that I can work on it in earnest. Our route will be from Missouri to California, mainly along interstate 40. Any Porsche stops, or even general cool car stuff, along the way we should make a point to see? I guess we'll go right by Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. We'll be stopping at Ollies and California Motorsports (CMS) in Lake Havasu City to drop off our 914-6 engine and transmission. That's about all I'm seeing that isn't a major detour. Our route doesn't take us through LA (i.e. Petersen Automotive Museum).

Any advice on a long hauling a rusty 356 on a U-Haul trailer? Part of the windshield is broken, so I plan to cover that with cardboard and put a cover on the car so it doesn't blow out the cloth sunroof. I'll get the doors, hood, and engine lid to latch. Won't leave anything in the car that isn't bolted down. That stuff will go in the U-Haul truck and get locked up.

P.S. Do we still qualify for travel assistance, even though the 356 is on a trailer? Hopefully won't need it. Hang in there U-Haul!
Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.29.11 AM.png
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: 356 Trailered Road Trip - Interstate 40

#2 Post by Jim Nelson »

Having just done the Northern New York (St Lawrence River) to LA route, (2900+ miles with three dogs, not recommended) I can say that picking overnight lodging near airports is probably the safest. We stayed at a La Quinta in Albuquerque that was pretty scary (homeless knocking on doors saying " room service") ...

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Warren Bender »

tighten the straps and tighten the straps and tighten the straps!!!!

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

Wow...now THAT is a trip!! Watch out for tire gators and check those tires frequently.

I just trailered my 356 about 600 miles (only). Struck a piece of truck tire on the freeway (stuck in my lane, nowhere to go). It damaged 2 tires on the trailer and seriously whacked one of the fenders. No damage to the 356 but sweating bullets for 200 miles to my half way point is no fun..
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Car covers on trailered cars usually flap themselves to pieces sometimes damaging what's underneath.
Unless of course you keep it under 30.

G.F. Bown
356 Fan
Tag: ugi356

#6 Post by G.F. Bown »

having done many, many long distance u-haul transits with various porsches in various conditions ... yes, consider settling into these daily routines: 

*  at every start ... check tie downs, ball & receiver hook up (lubricate if squeaky), safety chains, kick the tires for equal "bounce-back," and the trailer wheel bearing temps (warm is fine).

*  ask for / reserve the aluminium u-haul trailers.  the steel ones are good, but the new ones are every bit as good / strong for your towing purposes, and a lot quieter.

*  no car cover.  if warranted, yes to tape doors and windows and front / rear hoods.

* whenever you stop get your rig pointed in the desired departure direction; especially at night.  getting blocked in or not being able to turn full circle because of other parked cars can change your attitude really fast.  other car drivers are generally oblivious to your trailer and its needs.  at your evening lodging stays ask the desk receptionist if you can park the rig under the entrance canopy ... for safety and security.  not always but frequently they'll say ok.  it's at least worth asking.

*  since you're travelling the interstate watch out for your stopping distances; especially if it's wet.  again, interstate car drivers will rarely consider your driving needs.  truck drivers on the other hand should be very considerate.  watch out for road debris ... guaranteed to ruin your day.

* even using a u-haul truck as the prime mover, 60+ should become easy; especially through texas and the ca high desert.

*  i'd be amazed if the 356 travel community wouldn't provide immediate support if needed.

consider documenting your adventures ... it'll be a great registry story.

here's to a safe driving trip, that's hopefully enjoyable and fun!

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dennis Vogel »

G.F. Bown wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 am having done many, many long distance u-haul transits
Did you run into any situations where you couldn't find a place to park at the motel? I'm planning to patronize the Marriott chain (i.e. Courtyard, Fairfield Inn) since I have some points there. I'm wondering if I need to call ahead and ask about parking for a truck with a trailer.
G.F. Bown wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 am * whenever you stop get your rig pointed in the desired departure direction; especially at night.  getting blocked in or not being able to turn full circle because of other parked cars can change your attitude really fast.  other car drivers are generally oblivious to your trailer and its needs.  at your evening lodging stays ask the desk receptionist if you can park the rig under the entrance canopy ... for safety and security.  not always but frequently they'll say ok.  it's at least worth asking.
All your points are good, but this one in particularly hadn't occurred to me and I could certainly see how that would be a bad start to the morning. I appreciate the tips.

Keep the faith.

P.S. I've always liked the "keep the faith" phrase, but am not sure where it came from. I wondered if this was a Harry Pellow thing as he's where I first remember hearing it. I don't mean to appropriate it if it was.
Last edited by Dennis Vogel on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Harlan Halsey wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:01 am Car covers on trailered cars usually flap themselves to pieces sometimes damaging what's underneath.
Hi Harlan. Flap damage had occurred to me, but I'm worried about blowing out the cloth sunroof. I don't know if you can see in the photo, but half the windshield is missing. Any suggestions? All I can think of is duct tape and cardboard, but I doubt that would survive the highway wind.
IMG_1695.jpeg
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

G.F. Bown
356 Fan
Tag: ugi356

#9 Post by G.F. Bown »

your question ... did you run into any situations where you couldn't find a place to park at the motel? I'm planning to patronize the Marriott chain (i.e. Courtyard, Fairfield Inn) since I have some points there. I'm wondering if I need to call ahead and ask about parking for a truck with a trailer.

generally no but, and there's always a but ... on long hauls, i start early / at or b4 5am and stop early 3-4pm. unless very late checking in there's always room around back, near the trash dumpsters; however you may end up away from a desirable night time security site for your load. ask the desk where there cameras are oriented.

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#10 Post by Don Gale »

DO NOT STOP TO SPEND THE NIGHT IN ALBUQUERQUE!!! U-Haul trucks are a favorite target by a growing number of thieves. Countless stories in the news of people passing thru having their entire rigs stolen. Stop short in Santa Rosa or Moriarty or pass on thru to Holbrook or Winslow AZ.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Warren Bender »

when parking at a motel try to get the back of the trailer backed up to a light pole or wall to prevent the car from being rolled off. Lock the trailer (use the safety chains) to the truck.
park under lights .
Warren

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Nelson »

Don Gale wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:44 am DO NOT STOP TO SPEND THE NIGHT IN ALBUQUERQUE!!! U-Haul trucks are a favorite target by a growing number of thieves. Countless stories in the news of people passing thru having their entire rigs stolen. Stop short in Santa Rosa or Moriarty or pass on thru to Holbrook or Winslow AZ.
+1

steven mclean
356 Fan

#13 Post by steven mclean »

Shrink wrap windshield, sunroof then the close doors.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jon Schmid »

You won't miss out on the Petersen with your setup. DTLA is not the hot setup for hauling around a trailer, unless you're a masochist.

James Rowe
356 Fan
Tag: Spend time behind the wheel!

#15 Post by James Rowe »

I would try to get a small piece of plexiglas, and cut it to fit about 2” larger than hole and duck tape it across the entire windshield to act like a wind damn.

Dennis Vogel wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:31 am
Harlan Halsey wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:01 am Car covers on trailered cars usually flap themselves to pieces sometimes damaging what's underneath.
Hi Harlan. Flap damage had occurred to me, but I'm worried about blowing out the cloth sunroof. I don't know if you can see in the photo, but half the windshield is missing. Any suggestions? All I can think of is duct tape and cardboard, but I doubt that would survive the highway wind.
IMG_1695.jpeg