356 Trailered Road Trip - Interstate 40

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 356 Trailered Road Trip - Interstate 40

#31 Post by Martin Benade »

Plus Harlan more so.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#32 Post by Wes Bender »

I think Harlan was referring to the Gadsden Purchase. Selling it back to Mexico would move the border north of me about 50 miles or so. I'm not sure it would change much down here...... but I'm not moving back to CA in any case.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#33 Post by Brian R Adams »

Jim Beam wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:20 pm I agree with the suggestion to NOT STAY IN ALBUQUERQUE. Your U-Haul will be gone in morning.
Why Albuquerque in particular, of all towns? Minneapolis or Portland, I could understand (need I elaborate?)
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#34 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think adequate security precautions are advisable anywhere you stop. Remember that cars have been stolen at Pebble Beach.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

#35 Post by Pete Indelicato »

Maybe disable the uHaul truck so they can't steal it--take the rotor or coil wire off.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#36 Post by Brian R Adams »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:14 pm I think adequate security precautions are advisable anywhere you stop. Remember that cars have been stolen at Pebble Beach.
Well, Pebble Beach is a target-rich environment, and likely presents a net positive risk/reward calculation. (Apocryphal, but Willie Sutton, asked why he decided to rob banks, replied "Because that's where the money is.")

It's not news that a lot of people are fleeing southern California. I-40 is a major arterial out of Dodge City, so to say. Bernalillo County, NM is struggling to recover from a virtual shutdown of its judicial system during the Covid-19 episode, according to this account (FWIW):

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ve/670559/
-

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#37 Post by Martin Benade »

I bet the U-haul truck has coil on plug ignition, no distributor or coil wire unfortunately.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Mike Wilson »

Maybe invest in The Club for the steering wheel?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#39 Post by Brian R Adams »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:34 pm Maybe invest in The Club for the steering wheel?
I've got two improved variants of the original The Club, the best I could find. But those are only to deter opportunistic/amateurish thieves. A pro thief will simply saw through the steering wheel lock (or the steering wheel itself!) in a few seconds with a jobber-grade battery-powered cutoff wheel. Hot knife through butter. I expect these I-40 apes are prepared for everything.
-

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#40 Post by Walt Nolte »

Perhaps Harlan was referring to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, all part of Mexico in the past. Please check the crime rates in states and compare to the dominant political party on each state. Hopefully, I will be banned. I will miss the technical discussions about our cars, but not all the other junk.

Walt Nolte
walt nolte

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#41 Post by Mike Wilson »

This thread has strayed quite a ways from the original post.

Dennis, have a safe and uneventful trip.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#42 Post by Dave Erickson »

Dennis Vogel wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:31 amI'm worried about blowing out the cloth sunroof. I don't know if you can see in the photo, but half the windshield is missing. Any suggestions? All I can think of is duct tape and cardboard, but I doubt that would survive the highway wind.
You might want to put the car on the trailer rear-end first. That also moves the engine to the front, so there is less tendency of the car to sway side to side.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#43 Post by Steve Proctor »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:55 pm This thread has strayed quite a ways from the original post.

Correct you are Mike. We see a lot of that, what savvy forum users would call "thread hijacking," i.e., injecting a new off-topic subject into an existing thread that dilutes or even destroys the intent of the original post. Recently, we saw the Drive your 356 Day post turned into an electrical discussion (I plead guilty of contributing to the highjack) and in this discussion concerning towing a car, people could not resist the temptation to inject partisan politics. I could do better, we could do better...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

Dennis asked me if I have any suggestions about trailering a car cross country, I sent this to him but figured other Registry brothers could use the info too.

I have a few rules I follow when it comes to driving a trailer cross country with a Porsche.
1. Never drive past midnight, anything you gain by driving late you lose by sleeping in. Stop before midnight, up at 8AM.
2. Never get a hotel in a big city, especially with a Porsche on it. Plan your hotel stops in the middle of nowhere, it’s cheaper too!
3. Never go below a quarter of a tank.
4. Every time you get out of the truck check the straps, especially if its raining.
5. Have a ready snack. Nuts, pop tarts, you might hit a stretch of road with nothing, and have a bottle of water.

Other than that, Get a book on tape, I use Audible.com, runs through my phone. I did a drive last year to South Dakota, the book was 50 hours, I finished it on that trip. But listening to a book you will look up and whole hours have gone by.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Day 1

#45 Post by Dennis Vogel »

So far, so good. The car was on a dolly, which was on a wheel dollies. The tires on the dollies were flat, which made it a little easier actually, as it required less height. Got if off of there with no injuries! The car has tires on the ground for the first time in 20 years. Rear deck lid latched no problem and the frunk is latched good enough. Managed to get the donor passenger door hinges bolted on, despite not having the backing plate and it even latched.

My dad had bought a Cross Beam attachment for the floor jack. It was helpful not just for getting the car down, but a very convenient rest for the door while trying to bolt that on.

Used cardboard and heavy duty shipping wrap to attempt to close up the broken windshield and side windows. Tomorrow will be truck loading and getting the car on the trailer. Assuming UHaul doesn't hose me.
IMG_1757.jpeg
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S