Sticking Door Latch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Sticking Door Latch

#31 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Wayne. I had to hunt for the downloads on my iPad but found them. Celebrate your success!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#32 Post by Wayne Arny »

Let’s wait to celebrate until it’s reassembled and in the car! (Sez the old naval aviator who always liked to have his successful takeoffs/cat shots followed by an equal number of landings/arrestments!! :)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#33 Post by Wes Bender »

Just how many times have you been arrested Wayne?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#34 Post by Mike Wilson »

😜

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#35 Post by Wayne Arny »

Never arrested, but did have a bunch of arrestments! 100 at least. Have to check the old "paper" log book! Never had to jump out of one, so take-offs and landings were the same, although one, as a JO, at night, on another JO's wing (not smart) when he zigged near the end, caused us to hit hard enough to push the left main mount up into the wing! But! We never left the runway! Although by the time I got unstrapped, the RIO was right there waiting for me to get out, and there was fuel all over the runway, and I was getting ready to set a land speed running record, but the fire crew was there, and we stepped into foam! And we are both still here! :)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'll bet that increased the pucker factor!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#37 Post by Wayne Arny »

Here's the latest. Got the white seal in place, and I think I have the lock piece in place. You should notice in the pic below that it seems to me to be proper when I compare it with Brad's article. And the grub screw is in. Also the seal is in the groove in the chamber.

Issues: Sticking Key. With the key in the lock mechanism, the whole thing seems to work properly. However, when in the "lock" position, it's very hard to get the key out. And it's stiff, but it works, in the "open" position. And I've lubed it like crazy and even took some fine grit wet or dry to the key surfaces.

Can't get the mechanism to go past the seal in the chamber. When I try to insert the mechanism into the chamber in the handle, it will not go past the seal!! I'm wondering if this is the reason there was no seal in there when I took it apart. Any suggestions? Should I force it in there? If so, how? In the pic below of the seal and chamber, I hope you can see how far it sticks out into the chamber. And as you could see in the previous "episodes," it is a tight fit without the seal to get the mechanism in there.

Thanks!

Wayne
Attachments
IMG_9207.jpg
IMG_9206.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Mike Wilson »

It doesn't look like the seal is fully seated in the groove.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#39 Post by Wayne Arny »

Mike, It sure appears to be at its maximum. The ID looks as expanded as it could be. I'll push more on it tomorrow and send results. Frustrating! Any thought on why the key still sticks? Knowing these cars for as long as I have, and the ones that survive, I'll bet it hasn't been used on that door in decades. Any way to loosen it up, other than just exercise it often? Thanks!

Wayne

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#40 Post by Rick Albro »

You might try using a hair dryer to warm up the seal and make it more supple. also gently warming the seal will allow the seal to expand and seat into the grove. You can also try some glycerine from the bottle in the glove box... As for removing the key you might try wire brushing the key. Making a key work well in a lock mostly relies on ones experience and feel. Take small steps and use lots of patience.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#41 Post by Mike Wilson »

Wayne, very good suggestions by Rick. If I recall correctly, you did hit the tumbler with Kroil or another penetrant. That would loosen up any pins in the tumbler that might be sticking. You can massage the seal into the groove using something that won't cut into the rubber.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#42 Post by Wayne Arny »

Thanks!!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#43 Post by Martin Benade »

I’m pretty sure that about 4 o’clock there is a buckled spot in the seal. Heat sounds great.

That’s the repro handle version? Maybe you could get dimensions of the different versions.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#44 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good observation, Martin. There are two different seals; one for original handles and another for repros.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#45 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Probably your actual problem lies in the low quality of the repro parts, probably the seal is a bit too large. I do not know what is the difference of the seals for the original and the repro handles, could it be you received the wrong seal?

Many repro parts are not made with the same quality as the original parts.
I recently bought some parts for the door handle lock and most of the parts needed some work to make those to work.
The slot of the lock cylinder receiver is off by a few thousands and the grub screw does not fit, I am not sure if the slot is off or if the lock cylinder is a bit too long.
The lock plate was bent, I had to straigthen it and polish it to make it fit through the locking slot in the cylinder receiver.
356 door lock parts.jpg