Generator/Axle trouble : Denmark/Sweden

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: Dyno trouble : Denmark/Sweden

#31 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Al Zim wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:02 am GENERATOR FAN HUB REMOVAL: 1) remove the generator pulley halves and all the shims. Place the hub of the fan belt side of the generator in a vice with wood on each side of the vice to keep from distorting the hub. Make it tight. You can use an impact or a long handle ratchet to remove the nut. it is 36MM. Everything will come off! You will probably need a pair of screwdrivers to assist you. IF YOU DO THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF TWISTING THE SHAFT. THE POINT OF USING THE IMPACT WRENCH IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CLAMP THE SHAFT-INERTIA DOES IT FOR YOU. BOTH ON AND OFF. TOO MUCH TORQUE ON THE NUT ON ASSMBLY AND YOU CAN PULL THE SHAFT RIGHT THROUGH THE ARMATURE
ASSEMBLY: TAKE CARE TO LINE THE GEN PULLEY WITH THE CRANK PULLEY. SOME ENGINES NEED THE BIG CARDBOARD RING, SOME DONOT.
GENERATOR REMOVAL: remove to oil filter by undoing the clamp and removing the oil lines. YOU CAN PROBABLY GET AWAY WITHOUT REMOVING THE OIL ILNES FROM THE CANISTER YOU JUST NEED CLEARANCE FROM THE FAN. There usually is a bracket on the fan shroud that holds the fuel line it is somewhat a pain to install. AS ARE THE BACKSIDE WASHERS AND NUTS.
My apologies to Al for basterdizing his text.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#32 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Al Zim wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:02 am GENERATOR FAN HUB REMOVAL: 1) remove the generator pulley halves and all the shims. Place the hub of the fan belt side of the generator in a vice with wood on each side of the vice to keep from distorting the hub. Make it tight. You can use an impact or a long handle ratchet to remove the nut. it is 36MM. Everything will come off! You will probably need a pair of screwdrivers to assist you. IF YOU DO THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF TWISTING THE SHAFT AND/OR SHEARING THE KEYS. THE POINT OF USING THE IMPACT WRENCH IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CLAMP THE SHAFT-INERTIA DOES IT FOR YOU. BOTH ON AND OFF. TOO MUCH TORQUE ON THE NUT ON ASSMBLY AND YOU CAN PULL THE SHAFT RIGHT THROUGH THE ARMATURE
ASSEMBLY: TAKE CARE TO LINE UP THE GEN PULLEY WITH THE CRANK PULLEY. SOME ENGINES NEED THE BIG CARDBOARD RING, SOME DO NOT.
GENERATOR REMOVAL: remove to oil filter by undoing the clamp and removing the oil lines. YOU CAN PROBABLY GET AWAY WITHOUT REMOVING THE OIL LINES FROM THE CANISTER YOU JUST NEED CLEARANCE FROM THE FAN. There usually is a bracket on the fan shroud that holds the fuel line it is somewhat a pain to install. AS ARE THE BACKSIDE WASHERS AND NUTS.
My apologies to Al for basterdizing his text.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#33 Post by David Jones »

I use an impact wrench with a torque limiting extension to tighten that fan nut. Around $50 will get you a 10 piece set from Amazon.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#34 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Trip took a bit turn for the worst. I found play in the rear left wheel. We couldn't buy a 36mm socket and my jacket extension on the pulley net spanner didn't move the nut. I suspect its a problem with the axle. We drove 4 hours to Hamburg as no where is open. We can cruise ok at 50mph but it not fond of bad surfaces. Trying to decide between trying to limp on about 6 hours of driving, staying longer in Hamburg and calling the Porsche Centre (there is no certainly they can look at it or get the bits for days or calling our breakdown cover.

Any members in Hamburg. Is there still an travel assistance list?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#35 Post by David Jones »

Neil, reach out to the vintage VW groups. The pre 65 VW used the same parts. Must be someplace in a city like Hamburg that can help.
Call PRS and see if they have any suggestions.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#36 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Neil
our friend Uwe should be in the neighborhood uwe.biegner@gmx.net he may be able to help.
j

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: Generator/Axle trouble : Denmark/Sweden

#37 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Thank you. I've emailed him.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#38 Post by Al Zim »

Mr. Uwe Biegner Died well over a year ago! Al Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#39 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Al Zim wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:19 pm Mr. Uwe Biegner Died well over a year ago! Al Zim
WHAT?? I never heard that, and I'm sure Uwe would also be surprised!

Al Zim
356 Fan

#40 Post by Al Zim »

Mr. Biegner would have been around 70 years old.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Olivier Auvray
356 Fan

#41 Post by Olivier Auvray »

Uwe is still alive and younger than 70.....

I was in touch with him yesterday!

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#42 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Today has been a good day. The problem was a cracked washer. We found someone that put another washer on, with the old one. I almost included a axle nut in my spares but decided I didn't have a way to fit it. We did 350 trouble free Kms today

Also the generator started working again. I will take it apart and clean when we get home.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#43 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I got 50mins from Mrs B to visit the Prototyp Museum. It's a must see and Hamburg is a cool city

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#44 Post by Dick Weiss »

Be sure to disconnect the battery before re-dressing the contacts in the regulator.
During a Holiday in Colorado many years ago, a fried generator happened and by luck,
someone had an OK spare generator (including the fan) in his swap meet "stuff".

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#45 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Olivier AUVRAY wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm Uwe is still alive and younger than 70.....

I was in touch with him yesterday!
Use just emailed me too