Generator/Axle trouble : Denmark/Sweden

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: Generator/Axle trouble : Denmark/Sweden

#46 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Dick Weiss wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:55 pm Be sure to disconnect the battery before re-dressing the contacts in the regulator.
During a Holiday in Colorado many years ago, a fried generator happened and by luck,
someone had an OK spare generator (including the fan) in his swap meet "stuff".

I did attempt a clean a few days ago (with the battery out)

I thinking that when I get home I may switch to a solid state regulatior (hidden in the black box). Will something like this work

https://www.classicbikepartscheshire.co ... outs-p1494

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#47 Post by David Jones »

What amp capacity, being a replacement for a motorcycle part is may not be able to carry the load for a car.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#48 Post by Martin Benade »

That regulator is for a 60 w generator so it probably wouldn’t appreciate three times that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#49 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Of course this morning the generator wasn't recharging the battery.. I used a nail file to clean the regulator points but no luck. Anyway we drove 2 hours to Amsterdam. The battery is now charging our hotel room again. Hopefully for the last time

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#50 Post by Wes Bender »

With that intermittent operation of the generator, I'm betting on one of the brushes hanging up or worn a little too far. Probably doesn't need a generator rebuild unless there is some other intermittent fault internally. Could still be the regulator though. When you get back home, read Kit Sodergren's article on testing the generator in the latest Registry magazine and check yours out accordingly. Hopefully, it's something simple (and relatively inexpensive).
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Re: Dyno trouble : Denmark/Sweden

#51 Post by Steve Proctor »

neilbardsley wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:04 am I know I don't know the failure yet but can heat coming up from the engine via the stand contribute?
If it did, cars in Arizona would all have the problem. When I lived there, we drove literally hundreds of miles non-stop in 100+ degree temps. AZ Outlaws convoy to the WCH in San Diego comes to mind, first week in October across I-8 - five hours over 100+
Last edited by Steve Proctor on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Re: Dyno trouble : Denmark/Sweden

#52 Post by Steve Proctor »

Wes Bender wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:31 am ..and what if, after you did all that, you still had the problem?
Suicide. That's why I am running one of Al Zims 6V alternator kits.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#53 Post by Martin Benade »

I thought that was 12v only.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#54 Post by Steve Proctor »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:51 am I thought that was 12v only.
Nope, does come in 6V, no more generator, no more electro-mechanical voltage regulator. Was idling along one night with H4 lights on, no red light all the way down to 600RPMs.
Attachments
6v ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.JPG
6V.JPG
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#55 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Wes Bender wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:04 pm With that intermittent operation of the generator, I'm betting on one of the brushes hanging up or worn a little too far. Probably doesn't need a generator rebuild unless there is some other intermittent fault internally. Could still be the regulator though. When you get back home, read Kit Sodergren's article on testing the generator in the latest Registry magazine and check yours out accordingly. Hopefully, it's something simple (and relatively inexpensive).
Thank you. I removed and cleaned the top bush already. I think that I probably need to remove the generator to get to the bottom bush or maybe I can loosen the band and rotate.

I found this link for Kits article.

download/file.php?id=92541

Al Zim
356 Fan

#56 Post by Al Zim »

^Six (6) volt alternators are available. They install exactly the same as the 12 volt alternators. Zim EVERYTHING we sell comes with a comprehensive installation instructions. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! This can be done with the engine in the car. Except for the blower all the parts including a fan belt are new. You will need a 3/8 inch drive torque wrench to install the blower which requires 75 foot pounds of torque. HOLDING THE ARIMTURE FOR ASSEMBLY AND REMOVAL. Leave the hub for the pulley on the generator shaft. mount it in a vice with the fan upright and use your impact wrench or a long handled wrench with a 1 7/16 socket that you may be able to find in the craftsman section of the big box stores to remove the nut. On assembly you will more or less reverse the assembly and torque the nut on the fan to 72 FT.LBS. During working hours there is always somewhere her to give you assistance. 800.356.2964 zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#57 Post by Brian R Adams »

Al Zim wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:59 am ^Six (6) volt alternators are available. They install exactly the same as the 12 volt alternators. Zim
Does your alternator kit come with a comprehensive installation manual?
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#58 Post by Steve Proctor »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Al Zim wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:59 am ^Six (6) volt alternators are available. They install exactly the same as the 12 volt alternators. Zim
Does your alternator kit come with a comprehensive installation manual?
-
I can vouch that it does (see link at the end of this post). Before I bought it, I checked the step-by-step installation process and found it to be very straightforward. With an alternator, the voltage regulator is electronic and built in, so the black box voltage regulator is removed and replaced with the included junction block and a two-wire wiring harness from the junction block to the alternator. The rest is standard R&R. The original generator stand is replaced by a new one sized for the diameter of the alternator. It has the large oval orifice for the later oil breather, but for those that want to stay with the standard flip-top box, they sell an adapter that works well. Happy customer. Numbers matching engine on the shelf would get a generator / alternator, but for the hot rod 912 in the car, for me, reliability trumps originality. https://www.allzim.com/store/files/atta ... LT.KIT.pdf
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#59 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I'm back home now and I think the regulator is at fault. I connected df to earth and got 13v. The contact in the main moves between the top and bottom points. It's touching the top point but there is a gap to the bottom. Should there be a gap to the top and bottom. What is a good starting gap?

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#60 Post by Neil Bardsley »

It's working again. I'm not sure why. I cleaned and adjusted the points in. Now getting about 6.3/4v when reved