non-retractable 3-point seat belts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: non-retractable 3-point seat belts

#46 Post by Mike Wilson »

My thought as well, Martin.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#47 Post by Martin Benade »

Michael, the factory mount only takes an 8mm bolt, and it goes into the bottom of a socket or recess, maybe 14mm diameter and depth. It doesn’t necessarily look like a seatbelt mount.
I drilled and tapped mine to the normal 7/16 size used worldwide.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#48 Post by Mike Wilson »

Update:

The good news: it finally cooled down enough to work in the garage.
The bad news: unless I mount the cabled part of the seat belt on top of or the sides of the tunnel or under the rear seats snd install backing plates, they won't work. Since I don't want to drill any holes in the car, that's not an option for me. Angle brackets were provided to install them in the factory anchor points but they are too large to orient the seat belt between the seats and they hit the tunnel. (Refer to my previous comment with the pics). I fabricated a couple of smaller brackets but a 90* angle doesn't work. Also, the shoulder belt hardware doesn't line up well with the factory anchor point as it is flat. It should have a slight angle to it. I contacted the guys at Seat Belt Planet and gave them my feedback and they are going to see if there are solutions. They have been very open and helpful and their products are really well made. Maybe we can come up with something.

In the meantime, I have a set of 3-point retractable seat belts in the car with snap hook ends in the factory anchor points and a set of PAP seat belts on the shelf and hopefully able to take the car out for DY356 Day.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#49 Post by Graeme Langford »

Mike what model is your 356. I have thought about fitting seat belts in my A and I believe that they are more of an issue. I do not want to start drilling holes in the car and adding strengthening plates but I have a feeling this would be the only option. I will speak to PRS as I believe they might have a solution. I am wondering if a four point harness would be a better solution in the A possibly but where would be strong enough at the rear to mount the harnesses. I do not use the rear seats and keep them flat for luggage and chairs etc.
1958 356A
1967 911S

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#50 Post by David Jones »

Graeme, I have 3 point retractable belts in my A cab and coupe. Search the forum for more information. I reinforced the bottom mounts and used a vendor supplied mounting kit for the retract mechanism.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#51 Post by Mike Wilson »

David is a great source of information. The A and and early B's did not have factory seat belt anchor points. There are diagrams and info to safely install seat belts on those models.

I have a later B model, 213xxx, with the factory seat belt anchor points.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#52 Post by David Jones »

If anyone needs a pair of fixed lap and shoulder belts I have a set that are very usable but could use a wash, also a pair of lap belts.
Make it worth the effort to box them up and ship and they are yours.
Attachments
20220906_160520.jpg
20220906_160003.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#53 Post by Graeme Langford »

David Jones wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:40 pm Graeme, I have 3 point retractable belts in my A cab and coupe. Search the forum for more information. I reinforced the bottom mounts and used a vendor supplied mounting kit for the retract mechanism.
Where did you buy your belts from David ?
1958 356A
1967 911S

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#54 Post by David Jones »

Originally from Andover Restraints, but then from Seat Belt Planet in Oklahoma city. Excellent service and expertise.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

#55 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

I am restoring my 64 C (Reuter Coupe), bought in Germany in early 64 and can not find the 3 Point Belt Attachment Points below the quarter windows. The ones on the floor are there and obvious. Can anyone tell me what the ones under the quarter windows look like? Or exactly where they are supposed to be? I've removed the Felt down to the metal, can't find anything. According to a previous post, my Chassis #127031 falls in the range where they should be there. Jürgen

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#56 Post by Mike Wilson »

See if this pic helps.

Mike
Attachments
EEC1002B-0481-4811-966A-6DB1F2B4E125.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#57 Post by David Jones »

Hers mine, Jan 64C.
Attachments
20220911_164544.jpg
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#58 Post by Martin Benade »

Originally there’s about a 2.5” plastic escutcheon there, with either an aluminum knob or a flat screw in the middle. Behind the trim is a rugged looking structure that looks more like a seat hinge location than a shoulder belt mount. With a smallish 8mm threaded hole.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

#59 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:35 am Michael, I'm guessing the rear mounting point is covered by the upholstery. My '63 has the attachment points. Also, there should be the factory threaded seat belt anchors on the floor behind the seats.

Mike
Mike, I have been trying to find the rear attachment points for 3 Point Seat Belts on my 64C (Reuter) coupe without success. The upholstery is out, down to some sort of thin material glued on to the body metal, but no indication of anything (below the wind wing) that would be like reinforcement for Seat Belts. Any idea where to look, or maybe there are no attachment on the 64?

Regards, Jürgen

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#60 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jurgen, can you post pics of the area on your car? Remotely possible there was damage in that area previously restored but the attachments not replaced. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll remove one of my retractors so you can get a better idea of where they should be located.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe