1964 356C Karmann Coupe Accelerator Pedal Lever

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Frank Swanson
356 Fan
Tag: 1964 356SC

1964 356C Karmann Coupe Accelerator Pedal Lever

#1 Post by Frank Swanson »

To my "much appreciated" 356 Friends,
The background:
I got the new floor pans welded into my rusted away pride and joy 1964 356C Karmann Coupe, and I am now trying to bolt and weld out the attachments such as the pedal cluster frame, seat supports and floorboard brackets. I am trying to line up everything to make sure alignment is good before I start welding and bolting. Several years ago, the Accelerator Pedal Lever and 4 bolt bracket (what was left of it) got thrown away with the rusty front tunnel floor board bracket and the floor pans. I went looking for a functional Accelerator Pedal Lever and 4 bolt bracket. I had great success with a 356 registry classified wanted ad and a couple of emails later, I got the attached photo from a seller and his Accelerator Pedal Lever and 4 bolt bracket has a second lever that was never on my rusted away car. I am thinking that maybe this second lever may be for a hand throttle? I do not think that when I disassembled my 356C, about ten years ago, that I ever had a hand throttle. I have searched the 356 Registry Forum and all the books and manuals I have and cannot find a photo of how all these accelerator pedal levers/linkage tie together. I have attached several photos and scans of what I have found on the fourm. Photos are worth a thousand words.
Questions:
1. Can anyone direct me to additional details on the Accelerator Pedal Levers and 4 bolt bracket connections.
2. What was the second accelerator lever for? Hand throttle cable lever?
3. Did all 356C's have hand throttles?
4. If the second lever is for a hand throttle, how does it connect and operate the accelerator linkage? Normally a pull cable has a flex outer shield that has a clamp that holds flex shield on the bracket.
5. Does anyone have photos of the second lever and how it connects?
Any Help here will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Frank Swanson
PS: Sorry, I hope these photos are attached, but probably not oriented correctly, still haven't learned how to orient them upright
Attachments
356 Forum Diagram - Accelerator Linkage Diagram - No second lever.jpg
356 Forum Photo - Accelerator 4 Bolt Bracket Tunnel Side.jpg
356 Fourm Photo - Accelerator Lever & Spring.jpg
Sellers Accelerator Lever and Bracket - Two Levers.jpg
My Accelerator Lever 4 Bolt Bracket - Tunnel side.jpg
My Accelerator Lever and Bracket - Pedal side.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 1964 356C Karmann Coupe Accelerator Pedal Lever

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

The second lever is for a hand throttle but unless a special order, the hand throttle was discontinued with the early '63 B 's. My '63 with a build date of May 30 did not come with one. I have experimented adding a hand throttle but fabricated a bracket attached to the lower lip of the dash rather than drilling a hole in it. I might still have some pics of the set up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 1964 356C Karmann Coupe Accelerator Pedal Lever

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Some discussion and nicepictures here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52214&p=383081&hili ... le#p383081 But I am not sure why you would go to the trouble and expense to have a hand throttle on a C. See Phil Planc's discuusion of installing the pedalcluster and support to answer question #1 here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52214&p=383081&hili ... le#p383081 I think that you would be better off purchasing the correct pedal cluster for later T6B and C since they have a different connection for the clutch cable.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.