Ignition timing vs. quench

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Erickson
356 Fan

Ignition timing vs. quench

#1 Post by Dave Erickson »

I read some articles on quench that claim that as quench is lowered (down to .030 - .035"), ignition advance should be reduced, because the time required for ignition is reduced. So how does that impact 356 engines? Should a 356 engine with .030" quench use an 050 distributor (with 26 deg. of advance) rather than a BR18 with 30 deg. of advance, or is the effect less than 4 degrees?

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

Re: Ignition timing vs. quench

#2 Post by Kevin Wills »

There are a lot of factors that go in to how much advance an engine will take or need. It might help if you provide some other information about the build. FWIW, I built my 1925 to .035" deck and run 34* total advance with a BR18.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

DaveErickson wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:33 pm I read some articles on quench that claim that as quench is lowered (down to .030 - .035"), ignition advance should be reduced, because the time required for ignition is reduced. So how does that impact 356 engines? Should a 356 engine with .030" quench use an 050 distributor (with 26 deg. of advance) rather than a BR18 with 30 deg. of advance, or is the effect less than 4 degrees?
Theory vs reality. Because there are so many factors that determine the best spark timing you really need to test the actual engine. Without a dyno you can experiment on the road but feeling a difference will be difficult. If your timing is too far advanced the typical sign is that the car pings if you quickly press the gas pedal to the floor while cruising at 3300rpm. Third gear works well. The idea is that you want to be at full advance, above 3000rpm, in a gear that accelerates slowly, and induce detonation. If it detonates then reduce timing slowly until it stops, or use better fuel.

The vast majority of 356 engines run best near the factory setting. If the engine runs hot you may not have enough timing.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#4 Post by Kevin Wills »

Thanks for your expert advice when I was going through my tuning, Cliff. I used your exact method above to test. BTW, 160-180* oil temp at the gauge once I dialed the jetting in more closely. It runs great.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

I am 100% in agreement with Cliff. F Vee engines are theoretically all the same in that the combustion chamber, capacity, volume, cam profile are very close to identical. Even so on the dyno each engine to extract the maximum performance required surprising variations in timing and carb jetting. One engine made most hp at 41 degrees BTDC. That was an anomaly though.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

... if tuning was only as simple as adjusting timing to match quench....
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Erickson »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:15 am ... if tuning was only as simple as adjusting timing to match quench....
Tuning is not simple, but theory is useful to guide practice...