Disassembly of Lock Receiver

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

Disassembly of Lock Receiver

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

I am attempting to remove the very small set screw that holds the Lock Cylinder inside the Lock Receiver from my C Coupe. See photo. I have applied Swepco 808 penetrating oil once or twice a day, and tapping it each time, for the last five days. But those little screws are holding on very tenaciously. I hesitate putting a torch on these delicate parts. Any suggestions on the best way to get these screws loose?
Attachments
356 Cylinder - 1.jpeg
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Disassembly of Lock Receiver

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Carl, they are a PAIN! There are previous threads on the topic. Most of the time, the head will snap off. Sometimes you get lucky. I'd be careful with heat maybe use the tip of a soldering iron. If the head snaps, the broken one needs to be drilled out and tap the hole for a new grub screw.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#3 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

+1 Mike

Carl, I used white vinegar as a penetrating into the threads let set for some time and patiently turned the screws, when you do get the grub screws out Buy a lottery ticket.
Good Luck
Herlin

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

The Zemak that the button is cast from can melt or sag at 650 C some soldering irons can get that hot...The cylinder is brass and has a higher melting temperature... patience is the key... as mentioned once you have run your patience to the end then drilling usually is the final path forward.
Grub screw.jpg
You will note the pictured image has had the screw drilled out and re-tapped... the hole was over size and a larger brass screw was inserted and small holes drilled at the thread interface then soldered...Make sure to fill the inside with low melting wax to preserve the key way... the correct size hole was then drilled and tapped in reasonably the correct position... this becomes a labor of love at some point... new cylinder and button can be purchased in a worst case scenario... Often the best path forward is to just drill the head of the grub screw off so that the cylinder can be withdrawn from the button. Then the cylinder can be placed in a V-block and a reasonably straight hole can be drilled... you will need to set the drill depth as no more than the radius of the cylinder because if you penetrate the key way removal of the little flashing's on the inside is very difficult...and the key does not fit well afterwards... If you center punch the grub screw before drilling make sure the key is inserted or you can distort the cylinder... give the cylinder internal support while center punching... good luck contact any of us if you need more guidance or a pep talk...

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Excellent advice, Rick.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe