Oil filter ID

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Oil filter ID

#1 Post by David Jones »

Today to show a member what different 356 filters were available I took 4 off the shelf to picture. Never before had I noticed what is now very obvious. Opening one at a time and using it perhaps months apart does not have any impact on memory of the last one used.
At least the NAPA gold and the WIX have close to the same part #.
I have always had a preference for WIX filters and this just makes me happier with that choice. Now all you have to be sure of is that you have the correct top seal.
Attachments
Image 8-12-22 at 12.32.jpg
Image 8-12-22 at 12.31.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Oil filter ID

#2 Post by Al Zim »

The next time you change your oil CAREFULLY inspect the center post. You MUST LOOK VERY CAREFULLY to see the hole that the oil flows through to be filtered. All the filters have the same hole (or pretty close to it) it is half way up the post. Look carefully with a flash light. CONCLUSION: This is a bypass oil filtration system. The majority (maybe 97%) of the oil immediately goes back into the engine for lubrication. The filtration on our engines is NO BETTER than what was used on VW sedans, busses and pick up trucks! That only had a screen (no magnet) to catch large parts.

In reply to additional posts. It does not matter what you put in the filter housing as a filter. The opening for oil flow is miniscule and only a small percentage of the oil will pass through the hole that feeds oil to the filter.
During a prolonged discussion (in this forum) we reached a conclusion that about 4% of the oil is filtered at any given time. Ron LeDow successfully adapted the EMPI oil filter that was used on the 1961 and later VW engines to work on Porsche 3 piece cases with large oil pumps. Which is about as good as it is going to get.
Last edited by Al Zim on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

John Clarke
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Clarke »

Hi David
Hope you are keeping well.
Why do I only think of just One Name when it comes to Oil Fiters . Fram
Cheers Jay

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I think that Fram is not considered to be a quality filter brand any more.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

The last Fram full flow filter I used had the filtration medium come loose inside allowing the oil to bypass the medium. I had two more like it on the shelf and they promptly went into the trash. You're correct Martin. They've migrated to the opposite end of the quality scale.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#6 Post by David Jones »

Martin, I doubt that the Fram filters are as bad as some make out. I have only had any problems with one make of filter and only two times and it was a Fram and it was a full flow filter both times. That being said it is not likely that a Fram filter is any worse than any other in a 356 bypass application.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Clarke
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Clarke »

Hi again ref Oil Filters.
We use the HP1 Oil filter for the Full Flow system we are running with on the 616 / 40 engine in the 356 As you all know, start up oil pressures in a 356 engine are Huge. The High Pressure 1 Oil Filter stands the test of time and use. But am very open to suggestions for change..
Regards Jay

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#8 Post by David Jones »

Whatever filter is rated for a diesel engine with the same fitting size. I used to use the VW golf/rabbit diesel filters in the race car and it is what I use on my one engine with full flow oil filter. It is my belief that as diesel engines tend to dump more contaminants into the oil a filter designed for a diesel engine will do a better job than a gas engine filter.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Clarke
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Clarke »

Hi David
We pay a lot for the Fram HP1 Oil Filter for the remote system on our 356 . But if it's crap. There is a need to know. Question again. What is the Very best Make of Oil Filter for our engines.?
You should all be running Full Flow. So, What Is it?
Thanks for any advice. What does Vic and Cliff run with on the track ?
Jay

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#10 Post by David Jones »

Jay, just like beer, there is no bad beer just some are better than others. MOBIL 1 has good reviews, Mann, Bosch, Wix. I am not familiar with what is available to you. Porsche and Aston Martin supposedly use the Mobil 1 filter.
Race engine oil doesn't stay in the engine long enough to compare to a street engine requirement though. The larger the capacity of the filter may help by having less pressure drop and more filtration area.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#11 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I have used Fram C3P filters since my 356 beginning in 1964. I see no reason to change nor to change to FF filtering. 356 air filters can stand some improvement, however.

Juha Vane
356 Fan

#12 Post by Juha Vane »

There seem to be a lot of difference in filters.
I would recommend to watch the various youtube
videos and judge your self. One problem can be that
the filter might be made by some one else, just
packed in an other box.

I use Mahle and Mann filters as they are available
here in Europe.
KTF,

Juha Vane
Finland

'59 308
'63 356
'85 911

Al Zim
356 Fan

#13 Post by Al Zim »

No matter what filter you use it is always an excellent idea to cut the filter open and see what is captured. If you are using a metal fuel filter it is a good idea to cut them open to see how much rust you have in the tank.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#14 Post by Harlan Halsey »

It is difficult to cut a filter open without contaminating the medium with cutting bits. There are special filter can openers for this purpose. We used to check the filters in SCCA race cars running four race engines. I don't think we learned anything. Unless you have nothing else to do I think filter medium analysis is a waste of time in a street car.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have Willhoit's remote oil filter set up and use a Pure Power cleanable filter.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe