Recommend a body shop near Philadelphia for a repair?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Elizabeth Scheyder
356 Fan

Recommend a body shop near Philadelphia for a repair?

#1 Post by Elizabeth Scheyder »

Hi all,

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but can folks please help me find a good body shop near Philadelphia, PA? The shop that did my restoration closed when the owner retired. I'd appreciate suggestions of good shops and warnings about those to avoid.

It had to happen.(Did it? Really?) My beloved 1965 Porsche 356C, "Portia", got slammed in a parking garage. I haven't had body work done in more than 10 years, and that person retired and is out of communication. I've searched in the Registry and online, and looked up reviews, but I'm hoping someone here can give me more confidence in a choice. I can imagine that this will be a big job to get right because it damaged one of the curviest parts of the body. She's a "daily driver" and recently appraised as a CAAARGUIDE’s scale of 6/10. The loss is covered by insurance, and I'd like a repair that will maintain the rating of the car. I have the car because I love it, not as an "investment", but I still want it to be right. Any suggestions are welcome.
IMG_6386.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Recommend a body shop near Philadelphia for a repair?

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Fixing the dent is no big deal for any competent shop. What gets complicated and needs 356 experience is doing a restoration quality job. Then the glass, bumper, lights etc get removed. If the car is pretty nice a company like Hagerty will often pay a lot for a complete paint job. Your 6/10 rating is not a known scale, but it looks pretty nice from the picture.
I believe CJ Murray is near to you and brings cars all the way to Cleveland to Panelwerks. Also Pete’s Custom Coach is excellent near Cleveland.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

BTO in Poughkeepsie NY does all my Porsche paint on body on my personal cars, only a few hours up the road.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

I would recommend these shops in NJ. A little north of Philly but doable.

Paterek Brothers
Chatham NJ.
http://paterekbrothersinc.com/contact

ROCS Motorsport
Belleville, NJ
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

Richard Mullen Downingtown PA
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

This is the very best shop in the Philadelphia area. He knows 356s and since you have a repair, not a restoration, and since the insurance company is paying then that is where I would go. He has just built a building in Downingtown so disregard the Malvern address.

https://richardmullincoachbuilding.com
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:24 pm This is the very best shop in the Philadelphia area. He knows 356s and since you have a repair, not a restoration, and since the insurance company is paying then that is where I would go. He has just built a building in Downingtown so disregard the Malvern address.

https://richardmullincoachbuilding.com
Did Scuderia move with him?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

Adam Wright wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:15 pm Did Scuderia move with him?
Yes but not yet. I think they will make the actual move next month. They each built their own shop at the same location in Downingtown but I have not seen it yet.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:15 pm Did Scuderia move with him?
Yes but not yet. I think they will make the actual move next month. They each built their own shop at the same location in Downingtown but I have not seen it yet.
I hope you've been taking your Ferrari there, Tony and Tony are wizards with those Italian Ladies.
Attachments
mattferrari.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Adam Wright wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:37 pm I hope you've been taking your Ferrari there, Tony and Tony are wizards with those Italian Ladies.
Tony(shorter) worked for Algar Ferrari/Alfa/Maserati/Lancia for decades and used to work on our Alfas. He is also a motorcyclist and a customer of ours. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I do like my first Ferrari. V12, 500hp, and beautiful. I have wanted one since the first one I saw in 1961 and it was worth the wait.
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 6.19.31 PM.jpeg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

Even with the stigma of an automatic.
:shock:
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:06 pm Even with the stigma of an automatic.
:shock:
Automatic? It is a 6 speed manual gearbox with a clutch, both operated with paddles, just like a Formula 1 car. There is no torque converter or friction bands or planetary gears or hydraulic internals that are found in an automatic transmission. It drives exactly like a car with a clutch pedal only it shifts faster.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

I believe it functions better than me and my foot, but I just can’t live like that.
Just messing with you!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Elizabeth Scheyder
356 Fan

#14 Post by Elizabeth Scheyder »

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I let the topic "percolate" for a couple of days, and I'll make phone calls tomorrow.

Again, thank you for the help!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Scheyder
356 Fan

#15 Post by Elizabeth Scheyder »

I corresponded with Richard Mullen and sent photos, but he's (1) too busy to do it for 9 months or so and (2) a time-and-materials shop, so he says insurance doesn't usually cover all of the work required to bring it back to the condition it started. (He was concerned about encountering filler, even though I have un-painted photos I took that show there isn't any in that area.) He pointed me to Vichi Ionescu. I haven't seen his name mentioned here. Thoughts? I'd like to keep the car close enough to inspect it a couple of times during the work. A drive to Cleveland or Poughkeepsie is too far for an afternoon trip.

FYI, we don't have Hagerty because we don't own enough other cars to meet their requirements - I check frequently, most recently in March. And no, it wouldn't make sense in our circumstances to buy a junker or two just to qualify. Our parking rate, among other things, would negate any cost savings. And we walk to work. Instead, we have a premium agreed value policy that we are very happy with so far.

Thanks,
Elizabeth