Whats wrong with this rear brakes photo?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Whats wrong with this rear brakes photo?

#16 Post by Martin Benade »

Stoddard standard replacement shoes have markedly thinner linings than original, 6mm thick, ideal for 278mm drums. I told Bruce Schwartz about it but never heard back. At least yours are thick enough.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wes Bender »

Jacques Lefriant wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:20 pm Hi Wes
it's the installer's responsibility. we are lucky that we have vendors that know more than the original manufacturer.
j
Points well taken Jacques. There is such a thing as customer service though. If the brake shoes in question are listed for ALL drum brake cars, but need modification for one of those models, it should probably be stated in the advertising. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that our suppliers go to to provide us with the parts we need for these cars. It doesn't hurt though, to remind them when something like this comes up, that they are selling parts to owners who are doing their own work and may not readily notice some subtle yet critical difference.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Wes
i did not imply that you should have been aware of the problem. in the old days you could have had your shoes relined by a local firm. Now you could count on one hand firms doing this in the USA. It is easier to use new shoes than to collect cores. Stoddard/NLA i think provides the majority of the non custom/racing shoes and the shoes they provide don't have the channel and they stopped using cores. I am sure if Dave had consulted with Al personally he would have commented on the rare ocurance.
j