High Beam and Flash Not Working

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Kim Reeves
356 Fan

High Beam and Flash Not Working

#1 Post by Kim Reeves »

Hello again! I am on a mission to resolve these little nits on the car this summer and this forum is the best!
So one day the rely/coil thing feel out of its little socket under the steering column area. The indicators and high beam did not work.Once back in, the indicators work but when i go to hit the high beam or use the flash, i hear a click and then the headlights all go out. Before i go down several rabbit holes, any advice?
Thank you!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: High Beam and Flash Not Working

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Kim. Are you referring to the turn signal relay under the dash? It is a silver cylindrical part with three prongs that goes into a socket under the dash. I don't think that has anything to do with the high beams. The high beams can be flashed or turned on with the turn signal stalk. The click should be the headlight relay. I'd check the fuse box first.

You can search Joe Leoni's wiring diagrams on our website to see the wiring paths.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#3 Post by Kim Reeves »

Thank you - just checked all the fuses with a meter and all are ok. Yes i was talking about the silver one, good to know! I will start tracing the wires. I think after the restoration 5 years ago - the one thing that was a little sloppy was the rewiring behind the dash. A friend has said the actual turn signal arm mechanism - which i hope not!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

The high beam fuses are only powered when the relay closes You can check the power to the relay and fuse block after moving the signal switch. Watch this its not too hard if you understand a meter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4uKWUPjxY&t=1130s
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Here's the wiring diagram that you can use to trace the circuit. I'd also check the headlights themselves to make sure they are not faulty.

Mike
Attachments
B6B75E22-766F-4844-B603-B35FA658AD47.jpeg
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Turn headlights on, select high beams. Check for power at fuse 11 or 12 output. If voltage is present check headlight connection/functionality.
If headlights work on high beam now go to flasher relay.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Excellent advice as usual, David.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

As an afterthought Kim, quick way to check the high beam filament is to swap white and yellow wires at the bullet connector in the headlight housing.. Also when you select high beam if there is power to the headlights or at least if there is power to the right hand high beam then the blue high beam warning light will be on which probably means the high beam filament has gone open circuit.
If the high beam light cannot be easily seen then it may have also blown. Good idea to replace that bulb with an LED from Jules Dielen and at the same time consider swapping to LED headlights also from Jules. https://www.vintagetraderaz.com
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Kim Reeves
356 Fan

#9 Post by Kim Reeves »

Wow - so i went into my fuse area and started testing for voltages and there were two wires that must have been disconnected during restoration and were joined by a terrible household twist lock on wires that had been soldered. As i was testing they buzzed and the lights came on! So proper termination with inline bullet connectors and bam - we have lights! Thank you again!
Shelter Island, NY
1964 356SC Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe